turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a letter from the irs concerning excess social security tax in 2014. How can I see what i entered into TurboTax for the 2014 tax year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

I received a letter from the irs concerning excess social security tax in 2014. How can I see what i entered into TurboTax for the 2014 tax year

Save a PDF of the 2014 return with all the worksheets included to double check your entries. 

Did you file a joint tax return, and you both had W-2s? You didn't give any details, but what probably happened is that you entered your W-2 and your spouse's W-2 as if they were for the same person, instead of one for you and one for your spouse. When you first start to enter a W-2 in a joint return, you have to indicate whose W-2 it is. The W-2 summary screen ("Here's your W-2 info") shows which one of you each W-2 was entered for.

You both had Social Security tax withheld from your pay. The maximum Social Security withholding has to be calculated separately for each person. When you enter both W-2s as if they were for the same person, it makes it look like that person had too much Social Security tax withheld. The amount that appears to be excess Social Security tax goes on 1040 line 71. If you had entered each W-2 for the correct person, TurboTax would have seen that there was no excess Social Security tax, and it would not have put anything on line 71.

You received a refund of the excess Social Security tax shown on line 71 of your tax return. But because of the error entering the W-2s, it was not really excess and you were not entitled to that refund. So now you have to pay it back.

On page 2 or the 2014 federal tax returns, it states that my tax returns "Your Guarantee of Accuracy:
Breathe easy. The calculations on your return are backed with our
100% Accuracy Guarantee.
- We double checked your return for errors along the way.
- We helped with step-by-step guidance to get your answers on the right
IRS forms.
- We made sure you didn't miss a deduction even if something in your life
changed, like a new job, new house - or more kids!"

Is this not applicable?  I did not receive anything from Turbo Tax stating something was entered incorrectly.  To me, it looks like an error was made by Turbo Tax and should be responsible, or at least helping me get this straightened out.  I don't feel information was entered incorrectly by myself.

You had to enter the W-2 info yourself and indicate which person the wages were for ... the program even gives you a warning page that there MAY be an error and it was up to you to double check your entries. 

The program is not responsible for your data entry errors and as such is not covered in the accuracy guarantee.

And if you transferred in the 2014 info into the 2015 program and had the same employers you may have repeated this mistake so review your 2015 return before the IRS catches it.

Yes check your 2015 return 1040 line 71 and see if it happened again.  Then for 2016 do not transfer from 2015 or delete all the W2s and enter them each as new ones.

Please tell me what was all entered into turbotax that would go into line 44 on my federal tax return.  The number shown does not match my and my wifes federal, social security and medicare tax witholdings on our w-2's.  
I think there was an error within turbotax.
Thank you.

1040 line 44 is the tax calculated on you taxable income on line 43.
Do you mean line 64?  64 is only federal withholding from W2 box 2.  Only box 2.  The SS and Medicare withholding from boxes 4 & 6 do not show up on your return at all.  Except for any excess SS you paid on line 71.

on my 1040 form from 2014, line ff says "Tax (see instructions.)"  the amount shown on this line is $27,427.  Where does this number come from?

Will someone please just call me because there seems to be an error and I don't believe it was by how I entered the information.  Now, the IRS is saying I owe them over $3,000 that I don't feel is correct.

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/i...>
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You asked where the amount of tax on Form 1040 line 44 comes from. You didn't say why you think it's not correct. There are seven different methods that can be used to calculate the tax, depending on what is in your return. As the form says, "see instructions." In the 2014 IRS instructions for Form 1040, look at the instructions for line 44, starting at the bottom of the middle column on page 40, where it says "Use one of the following methods to figure your tax." The seven methods are explained there. If your copy of your 2014 return includes all the worksheets, there is a Tax Smart Worksheet near the end of the federal return. One of the seven checkboxes in the Tax Smart Worksheet is checked to show which of the seven methods TurboTax used to calculate the tax on line 44.

He started by a saying   ...."I received a letter from the irs concerning excess social security tax in 2014"

I'm having trouble believing there is any reason to look at lines 43 or line 44 (at least not yet).

@davidjeddy ....The question has not yet been answered, but it's been asked several times.....

....What $$ amount Is on line 71 of your Form 1040?
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I have never entered anything in an "excess Social Security" line item before.  It doesn't show up on my 2013 returns, nor my 2015 returns.  I called the irs and the person i spoke with said that line 44 is the sum of boxes 2, 4 and 6 from mine and my wifes w-2's.  According to the 1040 form, created by turbo tax, that amount in 2014 was $27,427.  If i add mine and my wifes boxes 2, 4 and 6 from our 2014 w-2's, that adds up to $38,024.  That is why I need to know how turbo tax came up with my line 44 being $27,427 instead of $38,024.

What shows on my 1040 return for line 71 is $3221.  My point is that I did not enter anything anywhere that said excess social security tax when entering my tax information in turbo tax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies