In addition to the info provided above by stinkerbellkity, if you haven't actually physically printed and mailed them, you can still switch the filing method and efile, if you wish.
If you DID print and mail them, however, then do NOT efile a second return.
So if you haven't filed, here's how to open an unfiled return to change the filing method to efile:
- Log into your account, and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2019, look for a link "Add a State."
- Click on "Add a State." (That doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return.)
- Once the return is open, go through the REVIEW section to be sure everything is still in order.
- Then go to the FILE section and change the filing method to efile.
- Then continue on answering all the remaining screens and at the final step click a big orange button "Transmit Returns Now."
If it says Ready to Mail then it has not been filed yet. So you can go back in and change it. Then print it out to mail or try to switch to efile. Click on Add a State to let you back into your retun.
How to to switch to efile
Turbo Tax will always say Printed or Ready to Mail. They don't know when or if you actually mailed it and the IRS doesn't tell or update Turbo Tax when they get your return.
If you want to mail a return from the Online version
When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return. Don’t forget state.
Important! Mail Federal and State in separate envelopes and mail each year in separate envelopes.