turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to wait on both state and federal to be accepted before I can amend it??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Do I have to wait on both state and federal to be accepted before I can amend it??

Which one are you amending?  Federal or state or both?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Assuming you have already submitted both, it would be best to wait, because amending one can affect the other, meaning that you may have to amend both.

Ok
Carl
Level 15

Already E-Filed and Need To Change

If you have already E-filed your tax return and need to make a change for any reason, then you have no choice but to wait until the IRS processes your E-filed return. If the IRS rejects your E-filed return, then you can just make the necessary changes and resubmit it.

If the IRS accepts your E-filed return, then you must WAIT until the IRS has processed your return. If you have a refund due your return is not processed until you have received your refund. If you owe taxes, your refund is not processed until you have paid those taxes and your payment has cleared your financial institution. Once processing is complete, you will need to file an amended return. You can not e-file an amended return. The IRS says you can’t. You have to print it, sign it (both the 1040 and 1040X) and physically mail it to the IRS.

If your E-Filed return is pending, and you change anything on your copy of your return, then you are guaranteed to have major issues with correcting or amending it later. So for your own sanity, do not touch anything until it’s time, as clarified above.

An amended return must be printed, signed and mailed. The IRS says so.

If my return is accepted, why do I have to wait for my refund before I can amend it?

Just because the IRS has accepted your return, does not mean that they agree with it. Sometimes, the IRS will “catch” your error (or some other error you don’t know about) and go ahead and correct it for you. You’ll know that when your refund is not what you expected.  So you have to wait for the refund.  If that happens to you, then you will receive a letter 3-4 weeks after you receive your refund, explaining what was changed, why it was changed, and with instructions on what actions to take if your dispute the change. If you receive such a letter, post in this forum with the details (without including personal information) and we'll try to help you get your copy of the return in agreement with the IRS changes, so you won't have issues importing next year.

You MUST wait for the original returns to be accepted or rejected before doing anything.   If the returns are rejected you can make the needed changes then resubmit them.  If the returns are accepted you MUST wait until they have been fully processed and you have either received the original refund or paid the original balance due before amending them.   The amendment forms & process will not even be operational until mid to late February. 

Amended returns must be filed by mail, and take about 4 months to process.  Why are you amending so soon? Some mistakes (such as a W-2 typo) are caught and corrected by the IRS automatically.

Needed to file married but separate instead filed married jointly

....You need to explain why you need to file MFS.

Some people do that mistakenly, thinking they are better off doing it that way, but don't realize MFJ is better

Ok even if I do I haven’t added my husbands w-2’s or my other w-2 this is the first time I have ever filed taxes

Unless there is a particular reason to file MFS...then don't.

You will have to amend anyhow to add in those missing W-2 forms.  Lesson learned?  NEVER file until you have everything in-hand...never !
You have to wait...because the actual final paper forms will not be ready in TTX until after 2 Feb.  You also need to wait until your original refund is issued...that cannot be stopped  (or until after you have paid the IRS if you owed them)

.....waiting until at least 1 March is also a good idea, a number of other forms are coming out during February...and there may be a few more items you need to enter in your amendment.

Amending once is a bit difficult.......amending twice is a nightmare.  Just wait and do it once.

But re-read what Carl posted below. That's pretty comprehensive.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I called and talked to someone in the N.C. irs and he rudely said I can e file an amended return but i have to wait till after January 29th!!!

An amended return doesn't stop the original return or over write it ... it is processed as a second return only after the original return has processed.

You MUST wait until both returns are processed and the original returns have been received BEFORE you can amend either return.  The amendment function will not even be operational until after 2/15 sometime so you can't even do so until then.  So take a deep breath as this is going to take some time and effort and must be done in order according to the processing rules.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies