turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

len1

Rcvd 1099-DIV late ($36 ord div/$16 qual div/$43 cap gain distrib). Amended my return with no other changes. Why was adj gross income $146 more when only $95 was added?

Got the 1099-DIV from Vanguard late (2 weeks after I eFiled). So now I did an amended return with TurboTax Premium. When done, TurboTax did it's thing and summed it up as $146 net change for my adjusted gross income.  That is about $50 more than the added income entered on the 1099-DIV that I received late. Shouldn't the numbers match?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Rcvd 1099-DIV late ($36 ord div/$16 qual div/$43 cap gain distrib). Amended my return with no other changes. Why was adj gross income $146 more when only $95 was added?

Not necessarily.  A change to gross income can ripple thru other areas.  For instance, if you receive social security benefits, adding additional income can increase the taxable portion of social security (see lines 20a & 20b on 1040).  Similarly, it can also result in a decrease to certain adjustments (lines 23-35 on 1040) if your income is in the phase-out range for those adjustments, which would then boost your AGI beyond the amount added to income.

To know for sure, you'll need to look at page one of the 1040 and look at specific figures, including those mentioned above.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

Not necessarily.  A change to gross income can ripple thru other areas.  For instance, if you receive social security benefits, adding additional income can increase the taxable portion of social security (see lines 20a & 20b on 1040).  Similarly, it can also result in a decrease to certain adjustments (lines 23-35 on 1040) if your income is in the phase-out range for those adjustments, which would then boost your AGI beyond the amount added to income.

To know for sure, you'll need to look at page one of the 1040 and look at specific figures, including those mentioned above.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies