turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 with box1 empty...due to irs notice 2014-7.

w2 with box1 empty...due to irs notice 2014-7... income relating to providing care to my son in our home is not taxable.  can I enter $1 so I can file electronic? or do I mail ?....where do I enter a explanation? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No, you can't change anything on that W-2. They should not even have sent you one. Are there any other entries on the W-2 that require you to enter it? There should not be.

TurboTax can exempt income under Notice 2014-7 per the IRS instructions. This Notice provides that certain payments received by an individual care provider under a state Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Waiver (Medicaid waiver) program, are difficulty of care payments and excludable as income. 

If these payments are paid to you in box 1 of form W-2 (they should not), first try to get a corrected Form W-2 from the payer. 

I received a w2 because my payer still included STATE wages entries box 15/16...BUT  according to NJ these wages are also excluded.  is there a proper procedure to remove these from NJ income?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Delete the W-2.
Here are the steps for deleting unwanted forms in TurboTax Online:
Open your return in TurboTax. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax, and select the Take me to my return button.)
In the left side bar, select Tax Tools> Tools.
In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet and follow the onscreen instructions.

If I delete the w2.... What happens to the state wages that were reported?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Was there any withholding? If there isn't  and state wages aren't reportable, then does it make a difference? Worst comes to worst, you mail in your returns.

No withholdings ( in 4,6)... Only values in 16 & 17... BUT this is a secondary income...my primary income is much > $75k...does that make a difference?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No, your primary income doesn't affect this. You may ask to get a corrected W-2 that has no state income either to head off problems. The solution TT has, corrects BOX 1 W-2 if they incorrectly entered any income there.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies