turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Income and wages reported on last year's return that do not apply this year, but being asked to remove them from last year's return...

I'm on the step: "Here are the income and wages you reported on your last year's return: Did these still apply in 2018?"

Wages from Company 1 (W-2) - Answer: No

Wages from COmpany 2 (W-2) - Answer: Yes

Payment from Unemployment (1099-G) - Answer: Yes

Distributions from Pensions, IRAs, etc

Retirement income from [some bank I don't recognize] (1099-R) - Answer: No

Retirement income from [old bank I used in 2017] (1099-R) - Answer: No

Clicking 'Continue' then says "Confirm You Want to Delete These Items - We're about to remove these items from your 2017 return. Uncheck any items you want to keep."

I filled out last year's return (which is what I think you mean by my 2017 return, since I did opt to import last year's return) with withdrawals from the retirement banks in 2017, but I don't want this info "removed" from my 2017 TurboTax return info... if that's what you mean.

What is going on here? I don't know what you mean by "remove" from my "2017 return"... my taxes this year should not be complicated as my income/payments were not complicated last year. I have all of the forms and I just want to submit them, not remove info from last year's return!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Income and wages reported on last year's return that do not apply this year, but being asked to remove them from last year's return...

No, it doesn't remove the data from your actual 2017 tax return

...... poor wording.  It is really confirming that you want to take out the (now $$ empty) forms in teh 2018 file,  that transferred into 2018 from your 2017 file.   It's just the forms that are in your 2018 file and does not touch 2017.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

7 Replies

No, it doesn't remove the data from your actual 2017 tax return

...... poor wording.  It is really confirming that you want to take out the (now $$ empty) forms in teh 2018 file,  that transferred into 2018 from your 2017 file.   It's just the forms that are in your 2018 file and does not touch 2017.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

OK, thank you!

This is extremely poorly worded. Where is their product management team?

but if i have w-2 on that list from the same company I still work with, can I delete it and it will instead give my 2018 w-2? or am I keeping that on their because it's a w-2 from the same company? very confused...

If you keep it in your tax return...it keeps all the employer information so you do not have to retype it....but all the $$ boxes are now empty, waiting for you to manually enter the data from your paper form.   

IF you know that you can import it this year,,,,then you can go ahead and delete it ...but YOU have to initiate the W-2 file import from the W-2 provider on the Wages&Income page.

A lot of people cannot get their W-2 as a imported file, so they like to have the old form available to use without having to type in all the information again.  So they would not delete the empty W-2 since they are going to use it again.

If you delete one you can always enter it again manually.  Deleting won’t affect your actual 2017 return.
tcblanke-
Returning Member

Yes..VERY POOR WORDING..Fix this TurboTAX..Very Confusing.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies