turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vkane1954

Never received federal refund from last year

Received my state refund but never got my federal refund last year.  What should I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You should contact the IRS. 

Before you call, make sure you know or have the following information handy:

• Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
  • Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
  • Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
  • A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
  • Any letters or notices we sent you
IRS phone numbers

Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless otherwise noted. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time. Puerto Rico phone lines are open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time.

Individuals:
800-829-1040

Businesses:
800-829-4933

People with hearing impairments:
800-829-4059 (TDD) See Tax Topic 102.

Exempt organizations, retirement plan administrators, and government:
877-829-5500 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time)

Estate and gift:
866-699-4083 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time; Forms 706 United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return and 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return only)

Excise tax function:
866-699-4096 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time)

If you live outside the United States
Hours of availability vary by location. Please see our International Services page.

Face-to-face assistance
In certain areas, the IRS has local offices you may visit to receive assistance. All offices operate by appointment.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You should contact the IRS. 

Before you call, make sure you know or have the following information handy:

• Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
  • Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
  • Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
  • A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
  • Any letters or notices we sent you
IRS phone numbers

Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless otherwise noted. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time. Puerto Rico phone lines are open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time.

Individuals:
800-829-1040

Businesses:
800-829-4933

People with hearing impairments:
800-829-4059 (TDD) See Tax Topic 102.

Exempt organizations, retirement plan administrators, and government:
877-829-5500 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time)

Estate and gift:
866-699-4083 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time; Forms 706 United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return and 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return only)

Excise tax function:
866-699-4096 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time)

If you live outside the United States
Hours of availability vary by location. Please see our International Services page.

Face-to-face assistance
In certain areas, the IRS has local offices you may visit to receive assistance. All offices operate by appointment.

where is myfederal  refund?     Where is my NY State refund?  NY state said they sent it on April 5 2019

@619rosemary This is someone else's thread and the question asked is not related to your own question except for the fact that you are looking for information about your current 2018 refund--the original poster was asking about a refund from a prior year.

TurboTax does not receive any information about your refund(s) after you file your tax return.  If NY says they sent your refund then you need to pursue that with NY and see what happened to it.  Did you enter an incorrect bank account number for a direct deposit, mis-type your address for a mailed check...etc?

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS.  Your ONLY source of information regarding your refund is the IRS.

To track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

On the IRS site you are also offered the use of an app called IRS2Go

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2584108-why-is-there-no-record-of-my-return-at-where-s-my-refund-w...

Sometimes people get confused by the “summary” given by TurboTax and use the wrong amount for the federal refund.  Make sure you are only using the federal refund amount, and not an amount that combined your federal and state refunds.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Mike6189  Is there a specific issue you are experiencing or a question you have?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LB2780

Last years federal refund went/applied to Dept of Educ student loan.  Can that amount be used as an deduction this year.  If so where?

@LB2780 wrote:

Last years federal refund went/applied to Dept of Educ student loan.  Can that amount be used as an deduction this year.  If so where?

A federal tax refund from a prior tax year is not entered on the current year federal tax return.

LB2780

The refund due was never received.  Letter stating refund was applied to a student loan.  Can I deduct as expense this year?

@LB2780 wrote:

The refund due was never received.  Letter stating refund was applied to a student loan.  Can I deduct as expense this year?

No you cannot claim the student loan payment as a deduction on your tax return.

Only student loan interest paid is reported on a tax return.

baublit69

I also never got a  stimulus package whatsoever, so will you please help me fix what ever it is I need to fix? 

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return.  Did you file a 2020 return?

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

There is no place to enter anything about the 3rd stimulus payment on a 2020 return.   If you did not get that one you can get the credit on your 2021 return if you are eligible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies