turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My refund was the wrong amount

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There are a few reasons why your refund amount may differ than what TurboTax calculated, the following FAQ explains these possibilities:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288510

View solution in original post

26 Replies

can i speak to a person
cboee

My refund is  very large.what goin on

Need to talk to a person

There are a few reasons why your refund amount may differ than what TurboTax calculated, the following FAQ explains these possibilities:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288510

need to talk to a live person

I received the wrong amount for my refund

Need to talk to someone for help

I filed federal return on line.   Received $744 less than the "Correct" Turbo Tax Amount.   It has been weeks and no letter from I.R.S.    Local offices were closed last time I tried to call.   Seems to be happening to quite a few Turbo Tax Users.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS and State Governments have the ability to offset a refund to pay for certain past due debts.  You generally will receive a letter stating what the offset was for.  

The IRS provides a toll-free number, (800) 304-3107, to call for information about tax offsets.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I knew there should not have been any offsets, but I did check on that already.   No offsets.   If there is an error, I have not been able to determine what they think it is.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You might just have to wait for a letter from the IRS then.  They have just started having some employees return to work.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, but no resolution.   I have been jumping through hoops on-line and calling the automated 800#.  They can't give information on my return????   It is now June 30th and still no letter or answers.   I have reviewed my return over and over and don't know what they think the error is.  Can't file a 1040X without more information.   I finally sent a letter with my 2nd quarterly estimate asking for information.  Nothing yet.   All 3 local offices still closed.       Are they getting paid?

@piasrotty 

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

the irs deposited 31 dollars should be 893 dollars

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies