Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My refund taking too long to receive. Been 4 weeks and I did direct deposit...does that mean something is wrong

My taxes where accepted 4 weeks ago and I did direct deposit and haven’t received anything yet. Does that mean something is wrong with return?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

My refund taking too long to receive. Been 4 weeks and I did direct deposit...does that mean something is wrong

No. Each person's processing time can be different. The processing time depends on when your return was accepted and if there were any delays for any reason. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302084 

You can call the IRS, if it has been longer than 21 days from the date your return was accepted, at 1-800-829-1040. There is a high call volume. So will be a little wait. 

When calling the IRS do NOT choose Option 1. 

Choose Option 2 after you choose the language. 

Then Press 1  

Then Press 4 

Then Press 2, it will then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
laf0916

I filed my taxes in January, and on Jan. 17th it was approved, but because of the earned income credit, they wont be releasing the fund till mid to the end of February, that's RIDICULOUS, i have a HUGE family emergency and sadly, i need my refund ASAP. I've waited a whole freaking month, to then get my refund at the end of February?
bpt023

Having same issues. I did mine in January got accept on the 30th and still processing. I'm going nuts because I dont know what's going on!

I filed on Jan 28 and it was accepted the same day. I have been checking and it still says processed. It doesn’t even have the tax bar under where is my refund. I have tried to call the irs several times and can get in the cal log to even speak with an agent. I’m beyond irritated and no one knows what to do.

Just says refund is being processed. No bar, no date, no nothing. Such a vague statement. Would help if they showed in real time where your refund was at so I don’t have to constantly check what’s going on. Like “processing done  est. such and such date” or “80% through processing”.
ruiz2171

I did mines on Jan 15 tho got accepted the same day I keep checking and all it says we recen your refund and is being processed same aol shit what the hell is going on been over a month!!!!
bpt023

None of this is any help definitely not doing this turbotax crap again!
Lyle1986

I feel your pain my friend, I filed before the 27th if Jan. Now it's March 4th and still nothing, it's been almost a month and a half. I'm madder than a dog with a smelling feddish. Lol

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax does not receive updates from the IRS once they have accepted your return. The IRS issues most refunds in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review. To find out where your refund is, first check your e-file status. If it's been processed and accepted, you can begin to track your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund? site.  You'll need your Social Security number or ITIN, filing status, and the exact amount of your refund to check your status. The IRS will issue your refund when your return is approved.

If it has been more than 21 days since your return was accepted,  You will need to contact the IRS  at 1-800-829-1040 and follow the prompts for a live representative. The person that you speak with will have direct access to your tax return and be able to provide you with a status update. 

When you call, make sure you have the following information:

• tax year
  • social security number
  • filing status
  • exact refund amount

Please click When will I get my IRS tax refund? to learn more.

I feel for you really I do, but try being in my situation...I e-filed Feb 8th, due to having to wait on my tax transcript to come in the mail. Today is May 14th 2020, which means I filed roughly 14 weeks ago...The only thing I'm being told is I'm under "random review" & they are requesting nothing from me at this time. I am in serious jeopardy of financial ruin, but not even a tax advocate will assist me in knowing what to do. You would think due to Covid-19 the IRS would not be allowed to hold hardworking Americans refund, for the bloody hell of it. I have a 9-5 job at an insurance company, have two kids & pay for everything all on my own. I have never in my life cheated the IRS so why I would be "flagged" idk. Other people have told me to prepare for a fight & a long wait bc at the end of the day the IRS does whatever the IRS wants. If anyone knows where I can find some support/assistance in obtaining the money the IRS definitely owes me I would greatly appreciate it! #heartbroken

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I am so sorry you're all caught up in the review process.  I am surprised that the Tax Advocate isn't able to help, and that would have been my only suggestion.  

A certain number of tax returns are selected each year for review at random and it isn't anything you've done, not that it helps the situation any - but do know that.  

The only "good" news is that when they do finally process your refund, they will pay you interest for the time they've held it.  Under normal conditions these types of reviews typically take up to forty-five days but currently, unfortunately, most IRS processing staff is not working so these things are taking longer than usual. 

Again, I am sorry that this is the situation you are in - but unfortunately there is no solution other than waiting for the IRS to finish their review.   

@Amandanmy3

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

@ABDOURAMANMOHMADOU

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies