Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

awolfeil

My parents claimed me last year, however this year I claimed independent and I don't know what to put for the AGI.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JoceannaD

My parents claimed me last year, however this year I claimed independent and I don't know what to put for the AGI.

Since entering your prior year AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) is a new IRS requirement for electronically filed return. Please review the following information to e-file.

Technically, if you have never filed before, then you will select "I didn't file last year."

• If you didn't file a 2015 tax return with the IRS, just tell us you didn’t file last year when we ask you. But if you’ve already entered a number for your AGI, manually enter 0 instead.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

How do I go back and say that I didn't file last year? I thought I already said that when starting my taxes for 2019 but I can't find it and now my 2019 returns were rejected.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

There is a question early in the TurboTax process of creating a return that asks if you filed taxes last year.  However, the answer to that question is only used to determine how to guide you through the process of filing your return for the current year.  You cannot revisit that answer.  

Since your return was rejected, you need to focus on the reason it was rejected.  If it was due to a mismatch of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) since you did not file last year, then be sure that you entered '0' for the AGI when you attempt to electronically file your return.

See the following TurboTax article for more guidance to fix a rejected return:  How do I fix a rejected return?

@94oboeplayer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I put it as 0 and they rejected me again. What should I do?

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@misakiozawa99 If you filed a 2019 return but somebody claimed you as a dependent, enter the AGI from your 2019 return, not theirs.   If you didn't file last year, enter 0.

Refer to the following Help Article for additional assistance.  Be sure to read the entire article for what to do if your tax return continues to get rejected:  TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did not file anything 2019, my parents did.

Since I did not file, I put down "0" for my AGI, but it got rejected.

What should I do? 

@misakiozawa99 wrote:

I did not file anything 2019, my parents did.

Since I did not file, I put down "0" for my AGI, but it got rejected.

What should I do? 

"I did not file anything 2019, my parents did."

It's not clear what that means.   Did your parents prepare a 2019 return in your name and file it for you?  If so, then you DID file a return in 2019, but you just didn't do the work of preparing it yourself.   So if a return was filed in your name by your parents, then you need to use the 2019 AGI that was reported in your name.  If you're not sure, ask your parents if they filed a separate return for you last year in your name.

If neither you nor your parents filed any return at all for you in your name, then an AGI of 0 normally should work.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies