turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take to see a deposit for child support arrears? My child's father is past due nearly $1200 and pays by state DCS . Will his return bring him current?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathyB

How long does it take to see a deposit for child support arrears? My child's father is past due nearly $1200 and pays by state DCS . Will his return bring him current?

You would need to contact the child support agency to find out how long before you see a deposit for child support arrears.

The IRS may use federal tax refunds for past due child support. For more information, please click on this link: 

IRS Topic Number: 203 – Refund Offsets

View solution in original post

85 Replies
CathyB

You would need to contact the child support agency to find out how long before you see a deposit for child support arrears.

The IRS may use federal tax refunds for past due child support. For more information, please click on this link: 

IRS Topic Number: 203 – Refund Offsets

My kids dad owes me 2100, he got,a intercepted letter 2 weeks ago but i havent seen anything in my account.
CC1

Did you receive your payment yet? I am in the same boat!

Same here. I talked to my local child support office and they said it could take up to 6 months!

My local child support case worker says she see it but it hasn't been released yet so she cant disuss it with me. Its been 34 days since my ex got his letter stating his taxes were intercepted and he filed as single. Online it says 30-45 days. My ex is over $11,000 behind so why is it I still have to wait. If my ex would go sign that paper stating it can be released it would bw wonderful. But hes going to do everything in his powrr to make me wait. Oh well. If someone could please let mw know the wait rimw it would be greatly appreciated. He filed his taxes in Feb. And its now April going on May.

Jesus!!!! One rep told me 2-3 weeks and then another said it may take "months" I don't understand why if you have the funds there why cant they just be applied. My ex is only $800 in the arrears but my child shouldn't have to continue to wait. WTF
CC1

This is ridiculous! My ex filed his taxes and received it minus the past due child support on february 22nd. I called child support and they said that it can take 4-8 weeks to process the payment once they receive it from the IRS. She could not tell me any other info because it wasn't my taxes that were being taken. And then i tried calling the IRS too and got NO WHERE!!!

Hello I'm in the same situation I was wondering has anybody received their funds
mstesen82

I get my ex's tax refund and it usually skips a year and then I get two years worth at one time.  I received his 2015/2016 refund on January 2017. IRS holds it for as long as they can. Child Support received both payments in August 2016 but didn't give it to me until January 2017. I haven't received 2016/2017 taxes as of yet. Dont hold your breath waiting on the money. It takes a LONG LONG time and no one can tell me why. When I call and ask I'm told no deposits have been made but he files on time and gets the letters saying that the refund was intercepted. So who knows... Good Luck, hopefully you get yours quicker than me.

Child support office told me it would be released right around Sept 11th
catico

I'm over here in Missouri, ex lives in Kansas. Nothing received from his yet, either. It's frustrating because all of my kids are in therapy because of abuse that he put them through. That therapy is currently being paid out of pocket. I plan on using that to cover the cost of their therapy, and yet no one can give me an answer on when it will be released or even if they have it. I'm sorry, but he is half responsible for these kiddos, so of course I'm going to question where it is at and when it is going to be received so I can cover the cost of these therapy appointments that keep building up...

Hello... Texan here. I was looking for info on a release form of some kind, I thought it might be different than the injured spouse form, but guess that's it.

Just wanted to add some info that may be helpful to some. The first time my exes taxes were intercepted was last year. It took 4 months for the payment to be released to me (which made me happy bc I thought the wait was 6 months). There's also a way to see when that payment posted, without your ex having to tell you anything. If you log on to the child support site, the date and amount will be in your payment record (not yet in your payments though). This year if I get it in the same amount of time I will get it around the first or 2nd week in Sept.

It's a little frustrating though, bc now I think he pays his child support even less often bc in his mind he thinks 'oh well, they'll take it out of my taxes eventually'. But now he's remarried and just found out he's not working. I'll stop there bc if I don't this post will go on for paragraphs. Haha.

Good luck to y'all. I think IF you have a good relationship with the ex and new spouse (or at least no hostility) and ask for the release to be signed, they will sign it. At the same time, I don't want to bring up the form he may have no idea about; and then get $ taken away. I think I'll stay mum on it this year. Unfortunately, it's him I trust less than the new wife.

In addition to my last post... I do NOT think the injured spouse form is what she (new spouse) needs to sign to help release funds. I just looked over the form, it's only to reclaim any if her funds. I don't even know if they file jointly or not, really none of my business. However, IF there is a form out there to have the intercepted funds released sooner I'd love to know. Like I said, I probably wouldn't ask them/him/her to sign it this year, but would be nice to know it exists. If anyone knows... Thanks.

My representative told me that a could take up to 6 months to get your
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies