Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer took out to much for my SS taxes and I have just filed my taxes and I don't know if turbotax adjusted they amount before they filed it. Need to know if I can ask them before I get my refun

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My employer took out to much for my SS taxes and I have just filed my taxes and I don't know if turbotax adjusted they amount before they filed it. Need to know if I can ask them before I get my refun

if one employer takes out too much social security and or medicare your only recourse is to get it back from them.  the IRS will not make refunds in such a case and TT will not give you credit for this excess.  strictly a matter between you and your employer.  your employer should also issue you a corrected w-2 ( a w-2c) which may require you to file an amended return. 

Thank you for your help.my employer told me that ss would send it to me and is sending me a w2c form to file . I already Sent my my taxes in with turbotax for my refund can I file the W2C form after I already filed my taxes? 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Since your return has already been filed, you will need to wait until it has been accepted or rejected before you can file an amended return. For steps on how to amend your return please click the link below.

How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

May I ask if your W2 is really wrong?  How much is in boxes 3&4?  Did the employer acknowledge box 4 is wrong?  You don't get it back from SS.  You have to get it back from your employer.

Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2. Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $8,537.40.   So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.

Did Turbo Tax let you file if box 4 was too much?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies