turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I amend my tax return? I messed up my street address. Does this affect it at all/should I just leave the mistake?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Should I amend my tax return? I messed up my street address. Does this affect it at all/should I just leave the mistake?

If your address is wrong with the IRS, you need to fill out form 8822 and mail it to them.  Since you are using direct deposit, your refund won't be affected, but you may not get important correspondence from the IRS if you don't update your address.  Also, if there is any kind of problem with your direct deposit, the IRS mails a check to the address on file with the IRS.  For this reason alone, it is important to have your current address on file with them.  As Carl mentions above, having it correct in TurboTax doesn't matter.  The address on your tax return is what counts.  

Here is the form with instructions and mailing addresses included; it is much more simple than an amended return.  Print it out, sign it and mail it as soon as possible.  Don't amend your tax return for an address change.  8822 - Change of Address IRS

View solution in original post

36 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Don't bother, as it can take 8-16 weeks to process an amended return. But are you having your check mailed to you? Or will your refund be direct deposited to a bank account with your name on it?

The refund will be direct deposited to a bank account. The address is just messed up on the actual return.
Carl
Level 15

Wait until your return is process and you have received your refund. Then you'll need to do a change of address with the IRS. See <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157">https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157</a> and take the link for the form 8822.

My address is correct on the TurboTax website itself. Do I still need to change it with the IRS? and how urgent should I be when changing it with the IRS?
Carl
Level 15

The IRS doesn't care about your address with TurboTax. What matters is the address at the top of your tax form. Then, that only matters if the IRS needs to send you any correspondence concerning *THAT* specific return. Amending a return for an incorrect address is a waste of  your time and will accomplish nothing other than to delay processing *IF* the IRS needs to send you any correspondence concerning that specific tax return. So that's why you do the 8822. The 8822 will get processed more timely. Whereas an amended return will more than likely sit in somebody's inbox until the current tax filing season winds down.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

If your address is wrong with the IRS, you need to fill out form 8822 and mail it to them.  Since you are using direct deposit, your refund won't be affected, but you may not get important correspondence from the IRS if you don't update your address.  Also, if there is any kind of problem with your direct deposit, the IRS mails a check to the address on file with the IRS.  For this reason alone, it is important to have your current address on file with them.  As Carl mentions above, having it correct in TurboTax doesn't matter.  The address on your tax return is what counts.  

Here is the form with instructions and mailing addresses included; it is much more simple than an amended return.  Print it out, sign it and mail it as soon as possible.  Don't amend your tax return for an address change.  8822 - Change of Address IRS

Thank you! I have a couple more questions. 1) If I mail this change of address form before they have received my tax return, will the address on my tax return override the changed address/should I wait until I get my refund to mail the change of address form? and 2) In the "Old Address" part of the form (6a) do I put the wrong address in this spot? (Technically it wasn't an old address, just a typo.)
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Your address will be changed as soon as the IRS receives that form and you should do it as soon as possible (it won't delay anything so no need to wait).  And yes, use the 'typo' address as the 'old address'.

Thank you so much! This is my first time filing my taxes, so when I realized I made a mistake, I immediately went into panic mode. You've been very helpful!
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

You are welcome and no need to panic; it happens all the time!
Redrider

I put the wrong address but the right street but my refund is direct deposit

Redrider

Direct deposit

I filed in 2018 but not in 2019 cause i didnt make enough. I have moved since then how do i find out if they have my new address?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

If your address has changed, you need to notify the IRS to ensure you receive any tax refunds or IRS correspondence.  

Please click Change Your Address – How to Notify the IRS to learn more.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies