Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eisley
Returning Member

My 2019 refund wasn't sent to my bank account!

So aside from the feds taking more than Turbo tax said they would, I was still owed 337.67. After spending hours with the IRS, they finally told me our bank account wasn't the right one.  We can't get ahold of ANYONE at turbotax to answer the simple question of, where's the record of us putting in our account number anywhere. I always ask for a check.  So who's bank account did TurboTax use? I would like some answers because I find it BS I have to wait 9 weeks for the IRS to backtrack what they did with my money when the hinge point is obviously TurboTax.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

The bank routing and account numbers that you entered are shown on three separate locations.

1. The Filing Instructions for your tax return
  2. The federal tax return Form 1040 Lines 21b and 21d
  3. The Federal Information Worksheet Part V

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Start the 2023 online tax return by entering some personal information then click on Tax Home on the left side of the screen.

On the Tax Home webpage -

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Did you request to have the TurboTax account fees paid from the federal tax refund?

eisley
Returning Member

Ahh thank you. So I verified that my account and routing were correct,  but the IRS guy told me, third party companies are responsible for the roll out of refunds. If the numbers he had were wrong, vs what was on our tax refund then where's our money and how did that get routed to someone else? 

@eisley If you requested to have the TurboTax account fees paid from your federal tax refund, then the refund would have been sent to a third party processor to deduct the account fees and their service charge.  The processor then would have sent the remaining refund to the bank and account you specified on your tax return.

Did you make this request?

So if your bank account was listed then you didn't ask for a check but to get Direct Deposit.  I would go back and look through your bank statements starting when you filed or when the IRS says they sent it.  Maybe they adjusted your return and sent a different amount so you missed seeing it in your bank account.  Do you know the exact amount the IRS sent?

Did you pay the Turbo Tax fees with a credit card or had the fees deducted from your refund? If you had the fees deducted there was also an Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California).  So you might not have recognized the deposit amount.  When you have the fees deducted it does go through a 3rd part bank to take the fees out.  Then they send the rest to your bank.  

What is the Pay with Refund Processing Service

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-refund-processing-service/00/25889

Who provides Pay with Refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/who-provides-pay-with-my-refund/00/26410

2019?   Is that a typo?   Why are you just now asking about a 2019 refund in 2024?   When and how did you file your 2019 tax return?   If you waited until 2024 to file a 2019 tax return, even by mail, it is too late and you will not receive the refund.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
eisley
Returning Member

No we paid with debit for the filing, I looked at the irs transcripts they claimed the direct deposit happened 6/24/15, Chase has no record of any deposits from that date or 7 days afterward.  There's a code saying we owed something from a different tax year so ill have to figure out why that is. But that there was a remaining refund. But nothing shows up on the account.  And the irs rep didn't give me the account he had, he just had me verify what my last 4 numbers were, which didn't match.  But upon redownloading my refund and looking,  the information is correct. 

eisley
Returning Member

No I filed on time in 2019, I have been getting the run around from turbo tax since then, but since i can never get a human,  im now forced into using this forum. The IRS says they issued it. And it's taken this long to get a representative to even do the digging on the government side to give me answers. 

@eisley This may not be the case, but have seen it happen based on the bank you used for the deposit.

Have you verified with your bank that the routing number and account number shown on your checks or deposit slips is exactly the same as is used by the bank for direct deposits?

eisley
Returning Member

Yes it is correct both the routing and account.  It's funny the government has no problem taking money out of the same account but apparently not when they have to pay.

@eisley You will need to get back in contact with the IRS to find out the exact routing number they used for the direct deposit.  There should not be any problem for them to provide you the 9 digit routing number.  That should give you some information for further investigation.  If the IRS sent the refund to a bank that was not associated with your bank then you should be able to request a trace and have the refund re-issued to you.

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries

Answer:

Contact an IRS customer service representative to correct any agency errors by calling 800-829-1040 (see telephone assistance for hours of operation). Unfortunately, this may result in you receiving a paper check.

You can use this procedure to contact the IRS and speak with an agent -

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies