Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Made an error on my 2021 tax form. I did not think i got the stimulus in March, as a result, it increased my refund by 1400. How hard will this be to fix?

turns out, I did get the 1400 in March.  Definitely do not want the IRS thinking I am trying to take from them.  Any tips
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Made an error on my 2021 tax form. I did not think i got the stimulus in March, as a result, it increased my refund by 1400. How hard will this be to fix?

If you have filed and the return was accepted you just have to wait for the IRS to adjust your return. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It will be easy to fix if you haven't filed your return or if it was rejected.

If you haven't filed, or your return was rejected, you can go back into TurboTax and enter the correct stimulus amount.

To get to the stimulus section in TurboTax online:

• Type "stimulus" in Search in the upper right
  • Click "Jump to stimulus"
  • TurboTax will ask whether the amount your eligible for matches what you got.
  • Say NO
  • Remove $0
  • Then tell TurboTax YES that $1,400 in the upper right is the amount of stimulus you received. Your refund should go down by $1,400.

Already filed

If you filed and your return was accepted by the IRS – wait. The IRS should fix your return. Otherwise you can file an amended return. TurboTax will allow amendments later this month.

See How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed. You'll see instructions to amend 2021 when 2021 is ready.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do not amend.

every return with an amount on Line 30 will be carefully reviewed.

IRS will make the change for you.

It will take longer for you to get a refund.. they will fix it and send you the corrected amount. It happened to me last year. Got my refund until mid March :(

Hello I have the exact same problem, I thought I had not received the 1400 dollars form the stimulus but it appears that I have, so when i filled my tax I clicked to receive a tax return of 1400, but it was rejected, I clicked on the email to fix it, but i could not change it, it only let me change stuff like the bank account or stuff from afterword, but did not give me an option to return and say I did receive the 1400. I read your message about going to stimulus on the search bar, but I do not find it, the search bar are only for questions, I just want to fix it and do not know how. Can you give me the steps to remove the 1400 as a request so I can file my taxes the right way and not have problems with the IRS. 

Thank you. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Since the "Search/Jump to...link" didn't work there are two other methods to get to the stimulus questions. 

You might first find and delete the "Recovery Rebate Crediit" worksheet and then use the methods below to find the questions.

1. "Tax Tools" in the left hand menu
  2. "Tools"
  3. "Delete a form" in the main screen
  4. Find the Recovery Rebate Credit worksheet"
  5. "Delete"
  6. "Confirm deletion"

1. Click "Federal" in the left hand menu
  2. Click "Federal Review" tab at the top center of the interview screen
  3. This should take you to a series of review questions including the "Stimulus" questions.

You could also use:

1. "Tax Tools" in the left hand menu
  2. "Tools"
  3. "Topic Search" in the main screen
  4. Type in "stimulus" in the search box
  5. Find/select "Stimulus" in the results below

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies