Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Irs says I have died. I had to mail my return April 20. What can I di,? No answer from them

I emailed Manila, Philippines ( I am in India) also Philadelphia international services I wrote with dr letter, and sent by mail my 1040SR.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Irs says I have died. I had to mail my return April 20. What can I di,? No answer from them

@Nancyzala , generally ,and assuming that nobody else has filed using your  SSN-- by error or otherwise, IRS  checks every return  for a match using Social Security Admin data.  Sometimes SSA has error  in the file they supply to the IRS.  So you need to  contact SSA to get them to verify that you are a  "live" person and then send that to the IRS.

I don't understand the reference to Manila, Philippines and Philadelphia.  Are you saying that you e-filed  your return from Manila  but you are India  NOW or are you saying that since IRS told you are already "dead", you  tried to contact  while you were in the Philippines and you also tried getting an answer from IRS Philadelphia  but nothing has worked ? 

I don;t know where in India you are , nor your immigration  status but  if you are US citizen/ Resident ( Green Card) , you could visit the nearest  US consulate-- they have an IRS section where you may be able to get some guidance. I still suspect that you would have to contact SSA and get them to certify that you are indeed alive and well -- this will then allows the IRS to update their data and hence process your filed return.

Does that make sense ?  Is there more I can do for you ?

Manila Philippines has an international service and they emailed me yesterday they have verified I am alive. I have received my social security direct deposit in the bank. I have not received either my 600 or 1400 stimulus check. I mailed a letter registered mail to Philadelphia to the International services for people living abroad. I am an American citizen and gave lived many years in India, and did receive my stimulus check for 1200 at this same address. Upon tracking the registered mail sent 20 May, it left Mumbai airport for US 25th May. No other update or reply gas come ti date. The address in Austin Texas us for foreign tax returns. I sent mine 20 April 2021 to them by ordinary post. By record it should have reached in six weeks. So the record also shows no wird from them to me.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Nancyzala , reading through your note , it is clear you are frustrated.  But given that you have done all you can, perhaps, you should just sit still and wait for the IRS to come back to you.  Since you did not receive all the  Economic Stimulus payments, this  should  have been reconciled as part of your 2020 filing -- thereby getting a higher refund ( or reducing your taxes due ) -- please  go over your return  copy to make sure that indeed that is the case -- else you  will need to file an amended return  to clear this up.  For an amended return  you should wait till you know for sure that your original filed return has been processed.

Wish I had  better suggestions.

Stay safe

pk

I did receive last year's 1200 check by post. This year nothing has cine. As I am in India it is costly to call US but many times I tried and waited.

No idea what to do but am waiting their reply.

Got through to philadelphia international number and they have no record I have died. So mistake on turbo tax account. 

NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS is many months behind in processing anything that was mailed in. Given that you mailed your return in April, I would not be expecting any sort of confirmation, reply or processing for another several months...it is not at all surprising that you haven't heard anything about your return yet. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies