turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS is requesting “missing documents” and signatures

Yes Turbo Tax would fill them out if you needed them.   Did you have any unemployment?  

Here is Schedule 1

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s1.pdf 

Schedule 3  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s3.pdf 

Did you have any of these items?

@Savina wrote:

Could they have thought that my payment was an estimated prepayment for next year since the voucher I sent with it was actually a prepayment voucher, rather than for my current tax owed?

Exactly.  You still owe the current tax due.   No the forms they want aren't related to the prepayment.

Oh and next year don't forget to enter the estimated payment you sent in to get credit for it.   

The referenced initial payment (check) I mailed in was applied to the amount I currently owe for 2020 already. I have been making online payments following that and they have been applied to my current 2020 owed taxes.

What I’m trying to figure out is why they are sending me this green form asking for documents they should have received from my online filing with TurboTax, and an “original signature”?

I only had one job and no unemployment or other income - neither of those schedules 1 or 3 should apply to my taxes. If they had, they would have received that with my filing from TurboTax, correct?

I haven’t made an estimated payment for next year - the check I sent with the payment voucher was already applied toward the amount I owe currently.

Why ?   They don't need a reason why ... you could have been just picked at random.  What you need to do is reply ASAP as directed so that your return can be processed. 

"payment voucher was already applied toward the amount I owe currently"

Did you boldly  write "for 2020 form 1040" on your check?

If not and you enclosed a 2021 1040-ES voucher you will be disappointed.

UPDATE: Thank you to anyone who attempted to help... I've concluded that I'm not going to get an answer to this question here, and will need to keep trying to get through to someone at the IRS for confirmation that my 2020 Tax Filing is indeed complete in their system (as it shows online), and they did apply my payments to the 2020 tax I owe (as shown in their system online), and get more clarification for what they are asking for on the green form they mailed me, or if that was a misunderstanding/mistake.

"they did apply my payments to the 2020 tax I owe (as shown in their system online), "

If your online IRS account shows everything in order there is no issue there.

If IRS still needs paperwork and you do not reply to the request for documents,

they will send you a second letter in a couple of months.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies