IRS hasn't processed my 2018 taxes after sending t...

IRS hasn't processed my 2018 taxes after sending them twice.

How can I get in touch with someone at the IRS to find out whether or not they have actually begun processing my 2018 taxes?  I sent my 2018 return late in March 2019, sent it UPS, and I received delivery confirmation according to the UPS tracking system, but there's no evidence that the IRS is actually doing something with it.  I sent it a second time 2 weeks ago, again UPS, and UPS says it's been received, but again no evidence of that. 

What do I do?   I already created a my account on IRS.gov and I've been checking daily for weeks, but nothing.

I paid a lot of money for my 2018 tax software - over $100 - and I can't get to anyone live to ask a question about why my taxes haven't been processed and what I can do to get around this to process my 2019 taxes. 

Unfortunately the IRS is not processing paper tax returns at this time.

See this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your Economic Impact Payment. Paper returns will be processed   once processing centers are able to reopen. 

You may be able to contact an IRS agent if you try early in the morning using this procedure -

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

If IRS did anything with your 2018 return, then the 2018 AGI amount may be in the IRS database.

Then you can e-File 2019, or mail in 2019.

IRS is not processing paper for 2019; you might as well wait until July and try to e-File at that time.

• Have you had any luck with this? I'm having exactly the same issue.

@JustineDiFra 

You added on to a thread that is months old.  We cannot tell exactly what "same issue" you are having.  The thread began as one about an amended return.  Did you send an amended return--and now you are wondering why it is taking a long time?

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until very recently---and an amended return could only be filed by mailing it in until late August 2020 when the IRS began to accept e-filed 2019 amended returns.   Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

Sorry this took so long....

I sent my return first in March, then in early April then again in May, both times return receipt requested, and the IRS receiver responded.  It actually took until mid-September to receive my check.  That's 6 months.  The IRS told me that they didn't even start processing returns in their backlog until I think July. 

So go ahead and create an IRS account on IRS.gov and you can monitor activity there.  Or you can try this from LifeHacker:

How to call

Someone doesn’t just pick up on the second ring when you call the IRS. You have to go through a menu to get routed to the best agent for your issue.

Accountant Amy Northard offers this cheat-sheet to the IRS phone menu on her blog:

1. The IRS telephone number is [phone number removed], and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
  2. The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
  3. Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
  4. Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
  5. Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
  6. Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
  7. When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
  8. After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
  9. Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  10. Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.