After you file

Sorry this took so long....

I sent my return first in March, then in early April then again in May, both times return receipt requested, and the IRS receiver responded.  It actually took until mid-September to receive my check.  That's 6 months.  The IRS told me that they didn't even start processing returns in their backlog until I think July. 

So go ahead and create an IRS account on IRS.gov and you can monitor activity there.  Or you can try this from LifeHacker:

How to call

Someone doesn’t just pick up on the second ring when you call the IRS. You have to go through a menu to get routed to the best agent for your issue.

Accountant Amy Northard offers this cheat-sheet to the IRS phone menu on her blog:

1. The IRS telephone number is [phone number removed], and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
  2. The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
  3. Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
  4. Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
  5. Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
  6. Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
  7. When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
  8. After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
  9. Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  10. Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.