turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed married jointly on return had to amend it they sent both of us separately a letter saying we owe the same amount in interest, do we each pay or just one of us?

So we filed married jointly on our tax return, later found out we had to amend it so we did end up having to pay back 300+ something so we paid it in full. 20 weeks later ( delayed due to government shut down) we each get a letter in the mail from the IRS asking us to pay the interest fees on the amount owed it's only a little over 7 bucks but it's the same amount for him and I but mailed as if we were separate parties. Do we each have to send in a separate money order for the interest or just send in one 7 dollar money order and be done with it...??? I know it's not alot but I don't want to pay the government more than what I really only owe because they sent us what looks like separate "bills" but we filed married jointly and NOT separately so why are they sending it separated. I also don't want to send in one 7 dollar payment and then later on get another bill saying we still owe another 7 bucks ( plus whatever time elapsed interest on it due to not paying it). Please answer ASAP as the bill is due before end of month. Wish we could pay it online but they want a money order since it was amended return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filed married jointly on return had to amend it they sent both of us separately a letter saying we owe the same amount in interest, do we each pay or just one of us?

If you filed a joint return you are both liable for any additional tax and interest on the return. However only the interest amount of $7 is due once (not twice).

Just write a check (or money order if you wish -but not required) for the $7 and mail it in and be done with it.

Make sure you write the return and year it is for on the check so it gets correctly applied along with the stub from the letter you got from IRS.  So if it was 2017, write 1040 12/2017 on the check.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you filed a joint return you are both liable for any additional tax and interest on the return. However only the interest amount of $7 is due once (not twice).

Just write a check (or money order if you wish -but not required) for the $7 and mail it in and be done with it.

Make sure you write the return and year it is for on the check so it gets correctly applied along with the stub from the letter you got from IRS.  So if it was 2017, write 1040 12/2017 on the check.

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies