Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I_hateppl

If when I went to file my amended return for 2022 and the amount that I'm supposed to owe increases what does that mean?

I made an error on a tax return from
2 years ago, received a bill for over $3000, was told to file amended return but when I did I noticed my balance owed increased.. what does this mean?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If when I went to file my amended return for 2022 and the amount that I'm supposed to owe increases what does that mean?

It means you have to pay more.  Did you pay the $3,000 bill?  Did you start the Amended return before you entered any new or changed info?  Did you have a refund on the original return?  You might have to pay some of the refund back plus the extra tax.  What did you have to amend for?  

The amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16 (but don't include any penalty on 1040 line 38). If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It means you have to pay more.  Did you pay the $3,000 bill?  Did you start the Amended return before you entered any new or changed info?  Did you have a refund on the original return?  You might have to pay some of the refund back plus the extra tax.  What did you have to amend for?  

The amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16 (but don't include any penalty on 1040 line 38). If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies