turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stpaul-06

Do I need to write a paper check when I paper file? I sent my bank account info and routing number...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to write a paper check when I paper file? I sent my bank account info and routing number...

Only direct DEPOSIT info is written on the form 1040 ... but if you owe the DEBIT info is never on the form 1040. 

If you tried to efile and it was rejected then any bank info you entered is void and null.  If you must mail in the return you need to make a payment.  When you mail in the return you need to send a check with the 1040-V that prints out  OR  make other payment arrangements like paying directly online at www.irs.gov/payments

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If the correct (I stress "correct") routing number and account number are on the paper return you will be mailing to the IRS, then you do not need to write a check. However, I would suggest you write and send a check with your mailed return, after you blacken out the account/routing numbers on the return. When mailing your return things happen pretty much at the same pace regardless of how you pay any taxes due.

Only direct DEPOSIT info is written on the form 1040 ... but if you owe the DEBIT info is never on the form 1040. 

If you tried to efile and it was rejected then any bank info you entered is void and null.  If you must mail in the return you need to make a payment.  When you mail in the return you need to send a check with the 1040-V that prints out  OR  make other payment arrangements like paying directly online at www.irs.gov/payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies