rita-ochap72

I want to amend my filing status from single to HOH on my 2021 taxes. But it's not giving me a Head of Household option. How do I amend if it doesn't list in the option?

After I click on amend and start going through the questions I click on edit for the personal portion and it doesn't have HOH listed. Just single, married, divorced, legally separated, and widowed. I went all the way through and there is not a place to change this.

rita-ochap72

I just went back and updated the amount of time she lived with me and it let me change it to HOH. Thanks

NCperson

@rita-ochap72 - did you list a qualifying dependent? that is a requirement to file HOH.

rita-ochap72

Yes I did

rita-ochap72

NCperson

@rita-ochap72 - did anyone else claim "her" in 2021? if so, amending will cause a problem.  Whomever she lived with for more than 6 months is the person who can normally claim "her".  do you want to explain more? 

rita-ochap72

Nobody else can claim her. 

For those who ready this thread  later ...in the MY INFO section  the program first asks for your  MARITAL status  ... choices are :  single, married, divorced, legally separated, and widowed.   Then  FILING status of   Single, Married filing Jointly, Married filing separately or  HOH  will be determined.     You will only get HOH  if/when you enter a qualifying dependent ...

Am I Head of Household?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2900097-what-is-a-qualifying-person-for-head-of-household