Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've already filed my taxes but recently changed bank accounts how can I change the direct deposit information to my new bank account?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I've already filed my taxes but recently changed bank accounts how can I change the direct deposit information to my new bank account?

If you have filed a 2019 tax return and need to change or add your direct deposit information, see this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know
The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?
In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

When will I be able to change deposit information I no longer use the  bank account I used for my tax return 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

The IRS is in the process of developing a  portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.  We do not know when this will be implemented.  

For updated information on the portal:

IRS Economic Impact Payments

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So basically All the hard working Americans who File their taxes ON-TIME EVERY YEAR!!! and had to close their  account that their 2019 direct deposit tax return went into due to fraud or what ever else other reason.. gets screwed over! and gets their stimulus check either by mail 5 months later or when ever the IRS decides to allow people to update their bank account information!..

Well looks like 50% of Americans like ME!!! are going to get their money late..if ever! this is bull!!!

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You can enter an alternative bank account on this site.  It's new, so it isn't easy to get in.

The IRS has a Websites to update information and check your filing status. 

Please read what it says on the right hand side where it says “Filers: Get Your Payment”

Get Your Payment Status

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bettycook19
Returning Member

Shut trying to change my bank account

@Bettycook19

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.  The IRS does not allow it.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong or closed

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dm3dina76

Ew I hope your nicer now

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies