Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tae1906

I used Turbo Tax last year but can't open the file,

I have the files but no software to open them with
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BrandiS

If you are unable to locate your return in your Tax Timeline, there is a possibility that you may have multiple TurboTax accounts. Complete an account recovery to locate possible TurboTax account(s) that you may have using past email addresses, username(s), and/or phone number(s).
Refer to link for further assistance: https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

JeffreyO
Returning Member

I have a similar problem.   I have the software and my 2018 tax file.  I can not open the file.   The program asks for my password.   I do not know what it is, so I select the option that asks me a question to recover the file.  The question is very simple.  It asks me for the last 4 digits of my SSN.  I type them in and the program responds,  INVALID ANSWER.   I can't seem to get an answer from turbo tax either.  I had to start from the beginning to file my 2019 Turbotax.    Now I have just received an email advising me about a possible $500 credit that may be available to me for the 2018 taxes that would require me to submit a amended return.  There's only one problem.  I still can't open my 2018 Turbotax file.   

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Are you using the same log in?  

You can use the link below to determine if the same User ID was used to prepare you tax return.  

Accounts linked to an User ID

If you are not sure of your information used last year, see the attached Help for instructions on how to recover your login. 

Account recovery for login from prior year 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JeffreyO
Returning Member

As I stated,  I paid for a copy of Turbotax Deluxe software and down loaded it onto my computer to do my taxes.    Not only can I not call up my 2018 tax file,  I can't even open up the Turbotax software without a password.  The option to forgo the password, by answering the challenge question is useless, because it asks me for the the last 4 digit of my SSN.  When I enter them they are not accepted.   While I appreciate your time and effort to respond it is not relevant to my situation because I did not do my taxes with Turbotax on-line.

@JeffreyO wrote:

As I stated,  I paid for a copy of Turbotax Deluxe software and down loaded it onto my computer to do my taxes.    Not only can I not call up my 2018 tax file,  I can't even open up the Turbotax software without a password.  The option to forgo the password, by answering the challenge question is useless, because it asks me for the the last 4 digit of my SSN.  When I enter them they are not accepted.   While I appreciate your time and effort to respond it is not relevant to my situation because I did not do my taxes with Turbotax on-line.

If you downloaded the 2018 TurboTax software from TurboTax, there is no password involved to install the software.

Once the 2018 software has been installed and started you can open the 2018 tax data file by clicking on the File tab at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Then click on on Open Tax ReturnBrowse to the location where you stored the 2018 tax data file.

If when opening the 2018 tax data file you are asked to provide a password to open the file, then you password protected the data file.  Only you would know the password that was used.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies