Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sshauri

I received a notification that I'm due a refund from my employer. What if I don't want to pursue the refund? I don't feel I could amend everything in time at this point.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I received a notification that I'm due a refund from my employer. What if I don't want to pursue the refund? I don't feel I could amend everything in time at this point.

I believe you might be talking about excess social security that may have been withheld by your employer.  If so, you're not obligated to pursue a refund of the excess amount, if you don't want to.

However, please see the TurboTax Help article Can I get a refund for excess Social Security tax withheld? for more information about what your options are.

If you're referring to something else, please re-post, if you feel so inclined.

How much does it say?  Try leaving the cents off of W2 box 4.

Check W2 boxes 3 & 4.  How much is in each box?  Box 4 should be Box 3 x .062 up to a max of 9,114.00.   If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.  Try leaving the cents off box 4.  But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.

A sure way to fix this is to delete the W2 and re-enter it.  That may clear something out.

Or post back with the amounts in boxes 3&4.

sshauri

Thanks for the response! Yes, it was excess Social Security in the amount of $41.92. I don't feel inclined to pursue this, so is there anything special I have to do to just finish filing? Do I leave the W2 as is? 

One employer took out over $9,114.00 for SS in box 4?  No you can't efile with it wrong.  Put in the max of 9114.  Or check box 3 & 4.  Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $9114.00. So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer. But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong. A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

How much is in box 3?

sshauri

$44.69 is the amount in box 3 and in box 4. 

That doesn't seem right.  Check with your employer.  Box 3 should be your gross income.  Like the same as box 1 or more.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies