Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

obeymikey

I received a deposit from franchise tax board not matching what my tax return said, do I receive my tax return in amounts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a deposit from franchise tax board not matching what my tax return said, do I receive my tax return in amounts?

No, they send it all at once.  

If the refund is less than what you're expecting from the State of CA, it may be due to some kind of past due state fees (parking tickets, DMV, courts, etc) and the state has adjusted the refund. 

They send a letter out in the weeks following the refund to explain what they've adjusted.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

16 Replies

No, they send it all at once.  

If the refund is less than what you're expecting from the State of CA, it may be due to some kind of past due state fees (parking tickets, DMV, courts, etc) and the state has adjusted the refund. 

They send a letter out in the weeks following the refund to explain what they've adjusted.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
obeymikey

Well this is frustrating as a first time turbo tax user, I know for sure I don't owe anything and now my return has been reduced to a very low amount.

Did you receive a follow-up letter from the state? I'm having a similar issue and wondering if this is actually the case.

Rosa_ g98

What does that mean ? Today I got my federal I’m just waiting for state but what was that 1st amount deposited for? 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

The refund amount changing could mean that the IRS or your state adjusted your return based on information that they had that is different than what you reported. Generally, the state or the IRS will send a letter notifying you of the changes. Other missing dollar amounts may be caused by a refund offset. This is when the government applies part or all of a taxpayer's refund towards the taxpayer's past-due income tax, child or spousal support, student loans, or state unemployment compensation debts.

Please click Why is my direct-deposited refund or check lower than the amount in TurboTax?  to learn more.

You can also contact your state's Department of Revenue if you have any questions about your state refund. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Z-88

I’ve been fighting with the DMV for an unpaid parking ticket on a vehicle I sold. The ticket happened literally the day after I sold the car.  This has been going for few months and they took the money out of my federal tax refund amount.  So if your refund is less, you defiantly owe money somewhere..  

Jiarae123
Returning Member

Re: I received a deposit from franchise tax board not matching what my tax return said, do I receive my tax return in amounts?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

No. For some possible causes for the different return amount, please click the link below.

Why is my direct-deposited refund or check lower t ...

Ramona822

I'm seeing this as well, they should send the full deposit and follow up with a letter, allowing us to decide how to allocate the funds, rather then just taking money out that is not rightfully theirs. My tax refund was accepted at a certain amount and I'd like to see that full amount given back to me. This is the first time this has happened. 

fkabakci

This also happened to me. I have a traffic ticket which I extended the court date 3 months later. Technically, I shouldn’t have been guilty, and I am fighting for it. The case is still going on. The amount that I will possibly pay around $500 if I loose it. However, the deposited amount from IRS is $1000 less than the amount that I was supposed to get. And, I know that I don’t owe anything else to the state. I haven’t got a letter from IRS yet. This is so frustrating that expected amount is far from what I suppose to get. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You would need to follow the directions here to contact the IRS to discuss why the refund was lowered. Turbo Tax does not receive any updates as to why your refund was lower. 

I received a derect deposit from franchise tax board but my cash app card couldn't receive it 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@Pablitosway717 You will need to contact Casp App to find out why the direct deposit was not accepted.

SR212787

Your California State return and IRS returns are sent separately 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies