turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a check US Dept of Treasury, Bureau of fiscal service for about $700. I request direct deposit, should have been $4000. How do I learn what happened?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a check US Dept of Treasury, Bureau of fiscal service for about $700. I request direct deposit, should have been $4000. How do I learn what happened?

It sounds like your refund was offset by the Bureau of Fiscal Services for a debt you owed--either back taxes, child support or delinquent student loans.  The IRS will send you a letter of explanation in several weeks.

To see back taxes owed  

https://www.irs.gov/uac/view-your-tax-account

NOTE: You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

17 Replies

It sounds like your refund was offset by the Bureau of Fiscal Services for a debt you owed--either back taxes, child support or delinquent student loans.  The IRS will send you a letter of explanation in several weeks.

To see back taxes owed  

https://www.irs.gov/uac/view-your-tax-account

NOTE: You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

i received a check us dept of treasury bureau of fiscal service in the amount of 14,172.00 can you tell me why

@janetfolmar No, we cannot tell you why.  The Bureau of Fiscal Services does not provide any information about your tax return or tax refund to TurboTax.  Only the BFS can answer your questions.

I got a check U S Treasury but don't know why.  I thought it was a refund of taxes taken from my unemployment  but it seems like more.  will we be getting a letter explaining?

Thanks 

Hi @Bravebrowndog,

By any chance, have you figured out what the payment was for? 
I am also in the same situation and wondering...

Thank you 

Tamara O

Hi,

I received something in my informed delivery inbox from the post office website, but nothing arrived in my mailbox. I think it was an offset that was delivered, but I can’t get ahold of anyone to ask questions. Does anybody know of a phone number we can call for this?

@Tamara O

" I think it was an offset that was delivered"

An offset is when the IRS or state takes money AWAY from your refund.   They send you a letter a few weeks later to explain why they reduced your refund.

Only the IRS or state knows why they reduced your refund.  TurboTax never gets any information about offsets to your refund.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Only a small percentage of calls to the IRS are answered----the best time to try calling is first thing in the morning.

sassie

I would like to know if this is a valid check from the Treasury and why I have received it.

@sassie No one at TurboTax can see your account or any of your information, and we do not know what "this" is--apparently  you received a check.   TurboTax does not get any information from the IRS after you file your tax return.   There have been some extra refunds sent for unemployment or for interest if it took a long time for the IRS to process your tax return.   

Did receive unemployment in 2020 and file your tax return before the tax law changed in March 2021?   The IRS is recalculating refunds for people who received unemployment, had AGI's of $150K or less and who filed before the tax law changed to waive federal tax on the first $10,200 of unemployment.  The tax law change could also affect your premium tax credit if you had marketplace health insurance, or if your income was affected in certain ways you could have received a "plus up" stimulus payment.

Look at your IRS account to see what it says.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

nina1960

i was suppose to get close to 4000 back from turbo tax refund. But TPG Product

send me a refund of less than 2000! Turbo tax is getting worse every year. And

I have been with for years . Why when they do this , do we have to contact them?

Shouldn't they contact us and say hey this  why you are only getting this much ?

i got  your answer and thank you very much, oh i will call them !!!

Losing over 2000 thousands and they don't even explain ? WOW Just

rude i think !!!

Thank you

I too am receiving a paper check today and I called the offset line and I don't owe ANY debt... I have my refund set up for DD so I'm totally confused as to why I'm getting a paper check. I did have to verify my identity because it is a large amount and I'm wondering if that's why. If anyone can enlighten me here it would be greatly appreciated!! Love and light! 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@Barkingspider41

You are commenting on a thread that may have outdated information. 

Did you elect to have direct deposit but you are now receiving a paper check?  Is your refund less than expected?  Did you pay your fees with your refund?  Please post your specific question and details here and someone can follow up with the next steps.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It was a check for another 200.00 from the 2019 tax year!!! Omg... 😂 thank you for the help though 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies