turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keagwa

I originally filed Married Filed Jointly, but realized we are not legally married. I amended my return to Single but cannot find my partner's info to amend hers. Help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I originally filed Married Filed Jointly, but realized we are not legally married. I amended my return to Single but cannot find my partner's info to amend hers. Help.

If you originally filed Joint that is one return.  You amend it to be single for the primary taxpayer listed first on it.  Did you take off all her info?

Then she has to file a new original return (not amended) as Single for herself.  Https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894512-how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-online

@keagwa - You *cannot* simply amend a joint return to single - that is not allowed because after the due date of a tax return neither spouse can disavow themselves of the joint liability on a joint return.

Filing a joint return when you are not married is a very special case and requires the IRS to declare the joint return an *invalid* tax return.  Doing that is definitely not do-it-yourself and requires professional help.  Even many professionals do not know the procedure that is defined in the IRS  Internal Revenue Manual (IRM).
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies