Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

becks2322

I need to update my bank information

How can I update my new bank information ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Once your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to change your direct deposit bank information in TurboTax. If the information provided is for a closed or invalid account the government will mail you a refund check. Additionally the IRS will not update or change bank account information on an accepted return but will mail you a check.

Now, if your recently e-filed return is in pending status, wait to see if it is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, open your return in TurboTax and go through the File section again to update your bank account before re-submitting your return with any applicable corrected information.
  • If accepted, you'll get your refund check in the mail or will be direct deposited if a valid bank account was listed when you filed.

If you have not e-filed or mailed your tax return already you can change or update your bank account information, go to the "File" section to make the change:

• Login to TurboTax and go into your tax timeline, select the File tab.
  • There are three steps listed. Click on Start/Revisit next to Step 2.
  • You'll have the choice for in my bank for direct deposit or paper check to receive in the mail, make sure the I want my refund deposited into this account box is unchecked.

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hannah-aprilgirl
Returning Member

I had to mail in my 2019 taxes and it says that is has been received but not accepted yet. I have a different account number now. Do they put in the new account number right away or wait until my taxes have been accepted?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

You can try calling the IRS to stop the direct deposit, if your return hasn't posted to their system yet (and you're willing to get your refund via paper check). For security reasons, the IRS cannot re-route your refund to a different account. For more info, please click the link below.

What if I entered the wrong bank account for direct deposit?

I need to update my bank info to joe medina  account number is [social security number removed] routing number is [social security number removed] so I can get my stimulus check

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I am sorry, we do not have access to your TurboTax account, and can not update your bank account information.  However, the IRS is setting up a portal for folks to add/update their bank account information.  For the latest information on this, please follow this link: TurboTax Blog  or the IRS Website

RRagelsr
Returning Member

FYI: I do my taxes with turbo tax intuit for the few years, we recently moved in August 2020, do we need to update our direct deposit information????

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@RRagelsr  If you need to update your bank account information before filing your 2020 tax return, you can update it by following the steps in this TurboTax FAQ: How do I change my transferred direct deposit information?

Dj0873

The link you sent via email is incorrect. Didn’t  help me at all

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If you need instructions on how to change your direct deposit information please see the information from the link provided: 

If you've already filed and your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to change your bank account for direct deposit.

If you transferred your info from last year's return, TurboTax may prompt you to deposit your tax refund into the same account you used last year. You can easily edit the account info you wish to transfer your money into before you file.

TurboTax Online

1. First, make sure the I want my refund deposited into this account box is unchecked.
  2. Scroll down and select Continue.
  3. On the Let's get your bank account info screen, enter the account you want your refund deposited into.

TurboTax mobile app

1. First, make sure the I want my refund deposited into this account box is unchecked.
  2. Swipe right to continue.
  3. On the Let's get your bank account info screen, enter the account you want your refund deposited into.

If this information does not help please let us specifically what issue you are having so we can fully assist you.

@Dj0873

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies