How do I prepare a prior-year tax return?
If you need access a TurboTax Online return that you already filed, we've got instructions for that.
If you started an online return but didn't complete it before the mid-October shutdown, we can help you finish it.
Tax years 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Select your TurboTax productfor the year you'd like to file. (Unfortunately, TurboTax Online is only available for the current tax year.)
- Select your operating system.
- Purchase your TurboTax product.
- Download and install your TurboTax product.
- Complete your return in TurboTax. We'll guide you through the process.
- When finished, print and file a paper returnthrough the mail. (Prior-year returns cannot be e-filed.)
Tax years 2014 or earlier
We no longer sell TurboTax products for 2014 and earlier tax years. You can download prior-year forms and instructions from the IRS website.
To access a TurboTax Online return that you already filed, see this FAQ instead.
If you started an online return but didn't complete it before the mid-October shutdown, go here for instructions on how to finish it.
If you have a simple return, you can fill out the blank forms by hand for free.
Here are some blank forms & instructions for 2017
2017 Tax Tables https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040tt--2017.pdf
Publication 17 Tax Guide for 2017 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p17--2017.pdf
Prior year returns can only be printed and mailed. When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.
And don't forget state.