How do I access my prior year (2017) return?
Your previous returns are in Your tax returns & documents on Tax Home (the first screen when you sign in).
- Select Show next to Your tax returns & documents.
- Under 2017, select Download/print return, choose why you need the copy, then select Download my return.
If you're using Free Edition without PLUS, you’ll need to pay for access to prior year returns.
|To get access before filing your 2018 return||To get access after filing your 2018 return|
|How to upgrade from Free Edition without PLUS||Select Take me to my return (if you haven’t already), then Upgrade in the left-hand menu and choose the product you’d like.||Go to Help, select Contact us, type in Add PLUS Benefits, and Continue.|
|How to pay||Select File in the left-hand menu and continue until you get to Review your order. Then select Start and follow the on-screen instructions.||After upgrading, follow the on-screen instructions to pay. (For Free Edition without PLUS.)|
If you don’t see the option to download/print your prior year return under Your tax returns & documents, you might be in the wrong TurboTax account.
If you saved a PDF version of your prior year return, you can search for it on your computer or thumb drive.
If you want to access a PDF or *.tax file of a prior year return that you completed using TurboTax Software (CD/Download) you’ll need a CD or download of that software from that year. If you don’t have it:
- If you purchased a CD, you can get a replacement CD (2017, 2016, or 2015 only).
- If you downloaded the TurboTax Software, you can re-download the software (2017, 2016, or 2015 only).
Once you have installed the software on your computer:
- Select the File menu in the upper left.
- Then, select Print or Save to PDF, depending on what you want to do. There are other options in the File menu as well.
If you’re using the mobile app, we’ve got instructions for that too.
There are ways to access your prior year return without TurboTax.
- Order a free tax return transcript online or by mail from the IRS that has a lot (but not all) of the information from the return. Some people may not be able to do this.
- Pay the IRS $50 for a copy of your return.