turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to Amend my return and change to standard deduction. I don't see that option when I go into amend in my menu. I deleted my deductions and it still doesn't change

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I need to Amend my return and change to standard deduction. I don't see that option when I go into amend in my menu. I deleted my deductions and it still doesn't change

You probably already have the standard deduction for your filing status for tax year 2018.  Look at your tax return.  Click on Forms in the upper right of the desktop program screen.  Click on Form 1040 on the left side of the screen.  On Line 8 is either your standard deduction or your itemized deduction.

Standard deductions for 2018

• Single - $12,000 add $1,600 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,000 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,000 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,000 add $1,600 if age 65 or older
dmertz
Level 15

If you are Married Filing Separately, you must also tell TurboTax that neither you nor your spouse is itemizing deductions.  When Married Filing Separately, if one spouse itemizes the other spouse must itemize.  Revisit the Spouse information under You & Your Family in the Personal Info section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies