Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to amend my 2021 return. i need to change to single status instead of head of household. why does turbotax say that i cannot amend filing status electronically?

i really don't want to have to file my amend by mail. thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I need to amend my 2021 return. i need to change to single status instead of head of household. why does turbotax say that i cannot amend filing status electronically?

You can efile a 2021 amended return.  See step 10 for Online versions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2021-return/00/2544441 

But I seem to recall there are certain situations that you can't efile like changing the status.  Or how did file the original return?  Was it efiled and accepted?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Amended returns are filed on paper.

You cannot efile a return with a change in filing status per the IRS rules ... print, ink sign and mail it in. 

You can efile a 2021 amended return.  See step 10 for Online versions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2021-return/00/2544441 

But I seem to recall there are certain situations that you can't efile like changing the status.  Or how did file the original return?  Was it efiled and accepted?

Really? Because i just saw this on IRS website:

"Can I file my Amended Return electronically?

If you need to amend your 2019, 2020 and 2021 Forms 1040 or 1040-SR you can now file the Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return electronically using available tax software products."

Ugh! Yes i efiled via turbotax but yes i am trying to amend my filing status from head of household to single so i guess that is why turbotax is telling me that i have to mail in the amend filing. Thanks so much!! IRS website sucks. So bummed.

Juliajoe
Returning Member

SO CAN YOU E FILE THIS OR NOT?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@Juliajoe 

It is correct that with available tax software products, you can now e-file an amended return for 2021. However, TurboTax is not one of those products where this is available.

With TurboTax, you would need to print and mail your amended 2021 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies