Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes using Turbo Tax. Why did I receive a letter from the IRS that says I may be eligible for an EIC refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

I filed my taxes using Turbo Tax. Why did I receive a letter from the IRS that says I may be eligible for an EIC refund?

Why wasn't this detected by Turbo Tax when I filed my taxes?

Same thing happened to me. I was wondering why my refund was so low this year then I got the cp09 letter saying I qualified for the EIC but didn't claim it on my refund and that I'll be recieving a check for over 6,000 in 6 to 8 weeks. Very upsetting that turbotax didn't catch this before it was sent in!

Same here also, is there a way to just track the eic refund?
cmaynor3

I just received the same letter. What was your result?
MicheleR

You can contact the IRS concerning the notice sent. If there is not a contact number on the notice you can call (800) 829-1040.

Per the IRS website pertaining to this issueI Received a Letter from IRS about EITC

My Letter Says I May Qualify for EITC; What Should I Do?

"We sent you a letter (notice) because our records show you may be eligible for the EITC but didn't claim it on your tax return. 

First, find out if you qualify for EITC by following the steps shown in your notice. You can find out more about What You Need to Do and What We Will Do by using one of the links below. You can find your notice number in the top right corner of your notice.

• Notice Number: CP09
  • Notice Number: CP27

If you need more help, you can:

• use the EITC Assistant for the tax year shown on your notice. It helps you find out if you qualify for EITC with or without a qualifying child

OR

So your refund was delayed or they sent you an additional check? 

They got me too!  Why is turbo tax not refunding my money after they messed up and caused massive 6 month delay of money we needed during a pandemic. I Will never use turbo tax again!  Rude reps and no answers. They blamed me, saying I declined the credit. Who does that?

@Candydefrain You posted to a thread that is very old--probably several years old.  When the Answer Xchange became Real Money Talk, a lot of posts migrated over with 2019 dates even if they were old.  We cannot tell what credit you are referring to, although the original poster was asking about earned income credit.

"They blamed me, saying I declined the credit."

It is not possible to decline the earned income credit.  If you qualify for it, the software adds it to your refund automatically.  It sounds like you have had a delay, but it is unlikely that it is anything to do with EIC.  Did you actually talk to someone at the IRS?  Did you receive a letter of any kind from the IRS?  What does it say on the IRS refund site?

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

And----if this has something to do with Earned Income Credit---look at your tax return.  Do you see earned income credit shown on line 18a of your Form 1040?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I got the CP09. I got a partial refund but the irs caught the mistake of it not being claimed. I'm not three only one from what I see. Turbo taxe reps said it was my fault. Its disgusting that they guarantee correct max refunds but wont hold truw to the promise we as consumers pay for. Never again lesson learned. Yes I tried to call the irs several times. Surprise it was shut down durring to covid. Any more brilliant suggestions?  

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp09-notice

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Candydefrain 

Failure to get the EITC when you are eligible for it is 100% a user entry error ... the program cannot verify that the answers you make in the interview are true and correct ... if you went to a LIVE tax pro they would ask you the same questions however as a live human and not a DIY program they may have been able to drill down to the correct answer to allow the credit.   Many times I must ask a client in more than one way for them to understand what I am looking for.   In all of the DIY programs, if you do not understand the questions there are "learn more" links to click on  or you have the option to call support for assistance.  Failure for you to understand the question and answer it correctly is not a program error.

And FYI ... the IRS is not always correct ... their letter clearly says you "MAY" be eligible for the credit ... even they are not 100% sure because they do not know your situation. 

Bcobb77

I received a notice saying I may be eligible for EIC so I filled out the form and sent it back. I haven't heard anything and when I go online to check it I don't have the exact amount so it won't let me go any further. How else can I check the status

You cannot check the progress of such a thing ... all you can do is wait for the IRS to mail you a check or another notice.

@Bcobb77 wrote:

I received a notice saying I may be eligible for EIC so I filled out the form and sent it back. I haven't heard anything and when I go online to check it I don't have the exact amount so it won't let me go any further. How else can I check the status

The exact amount of your federal tax refund will be on your federal tax return, Form 1040, Line 20.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies