Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I filed my taxes using Turbo Tax. Why did I receive a letter from the IRS that says I may be eligible for an EIC refund?

@Candydefrain 
Have you heard anything back from the IRS? I received the letter too, sent it out in July it’s been 12 weeks and I haven’t gotten anything yet.

Ealvarez
Returning Member

I filed my taxes using Turbo Tax. Why did I receive a letter from the IRS that says I may be eligible for an EIC refund?

I submitted my form back in July and have not heard back! Has anyone else heard from them or received their check 

@Ealvarez wrote:

I submitted my form back in July and have not heard back! Has anyone else heard from them or received their check 

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Ealvarez
Returning Member

I had also sent mine back in July and have heard nothing! 

I hope we hear something back soon I’m getting a little anxious. I called IRS September, but they told me they didn’t have anything in file “yet” because of so much mail. Hopefully it didn’t get lost.

Ealvarez
Returning Member

How did you get in contact with someone? I keep getting disconnected. So frustrating 

@Ealvarez   @LeslyLinette 

MAILED RETURNS

The IRS has just started to work through millions of mailed returns that have been piling up in trailers during the pandemic.  All you can do is watch the IRS refund site to see when your return makes it to the surface and goes into processing. Sorry.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue:

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
BKP1

Yeah also happened to me filed the form per irs instructions and sent it back hopefully will benefit from it all these new tax laws pain this year ugh!

Ealvarez
Returning Member

3 tax seasons later I still have not received anything, I'll assume I'm probably not going to at this point. 

TrajanBandy
Returning Member

Hi, I haven’t received my EIC refund. It’s been 8 weeks. 

The same thing happened to me and I have yet to hear back from IRS. I will never use Turbo Tax again. This is ridiculous 

@TrajanBandy  @Arianna35  

This thread that you posted to is more than two years old so we do not really know what issues you are having or why.   The IRS is severely backlogged, so many refunds are delayed.   If you sent in anything by mail to the IRS you can expect it to take the IRS at least six to nine months to process the paperwork.   And many e-filed returns are delayed too, because lots of people have made mistakes that caused their returns to go under review and the IRS is changing the amount of their refund.   If you made any sort of mistake with the child tax credit or the recovery rebate credit, there will be a delay in processing.   If you want to tell us some specific details (without any personal information) about your problem we may be able to shed some light on what is going on with your tax return.  We cannot see your tax return or access your account.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ealvarez
Returning Member

Unfortunately I have not received anything, I tried calling a few months ago and after two hrs on hold, I got no where! It's been 3 years, so at this point I give up! 

kochano

The same thing happened to my daughter last year and the 2022 program is also not allowing her to claim the eic... very disappointed in turbotax. This is the only issue we have had in many years of using turbotax it is just sad that it is happening 2 years in a row after paying for the program. We will now have to get a different program to file her taxes as turbotax won't let us speak with a person unless we pay extra. Shouldn't have to since this is their error and it has happened to many others.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

The earned income credit limits are adjusted each year, and for and for the tax year 2022, your earned income and adjusted gross income must be no more than $53,057 ($59,817 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children. $49,399 ($55,529 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children.

If you believe there is an error in your calculation you should call TurboTax Live Help since the credit will increase your refund if you are qualified.

See additional information in the link below:

Earned Income

Live Chat

@kochano 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies