turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just filed my tax return and realized I made a mistake. When asked how much my first stimulus check was I entered $600 when actually it was $1200. I entered $600 for the second stimulus check which

was correct. How can I fix this now that my return has already been filed? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I just filed my tax return and realized I made a mistake. When asked how much my first stimulus check was I entered $600 when actually it was $1200. I entered $600 for the second stimulus check which

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back, even if it's pending.

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected when the IRS starts processing returns on February 12.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes regarding your stimulus payments.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 16 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

It is possible the IRS will process your return without rejecting it, in which case if you cash your stimulus check they will know and should automatically adjust your Rebate Recovery Credit, but it's impossible to know for sure at this point though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies