turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

I got a tax topic 151 which I know what that is but will they hold my entire refund or give me a partial that was not affected? The affected part I’m sure was my step son

It depends. Topic 151 means there is an area of your return under review. It is possible that the IRS will withhold or reduce your refund until resolved. They may also request additional documentation.

The IRS will send you a report and/or letter that will explain the proposed adjustments or proposed or taken collection action.

Topic 151

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I got a tax topic 151 which I know what that is but will they hold my entire refund or give me a partial that was not affected? The affected part I’m sure was my step son

So if I only got the 151 tax topic and not the 151 reference 1252 or what ever its called doesn't that mean they already took some and they are just sending me a letter stating were it went to?

I had the topic 151 but it went a way now it’s just telling me that my refund is still being processed and I will receive a date once one is available 

How long did it take before your status changed back? And does that mean they took some if you dont have health insurance?

@dgooden90  Mine changed on the 15th to the next message but my fiancé filed on the 3rd and is getting a return already 

Ok so how many days was it before it changed back and was it because you owed something or didn't have health insurance?

I have no idea I have insurance and I don’t owe anything 

When you recieve the message saying under review tax topic 151 when did  your status change back to being process you said on the 15th? So wen did 1st recieve the tax topic 151 message 

I had it from the moment I got accepted on the 28th of January and by 2/15 it’s was gone 

@dgooden90 In 15th it went blank it says it on irs website it would and on 22nd we all got 151 

Yes i got a letter. And they want birth certificate for the mom and the kids a lease doctor school records a utility bill basically prove the kids was in the household and they will release it.

@monilove34  What did your status say in order for you to receive a letter

So I don't have health insurance is that the reason im getting the tax topic 151?

@dgooden90 I got it and I have health insurance so it could be a number of things 

I also owe car taxes since 2018 could that be a reason also?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies