turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I got a tax topic 151 which I know what that is but will they hold my entire refund or give me a partial that was not affected? The affected part I’m sure was my step son

It would still be tbe same earned income tax credit and they will hold it until you send more supporting documents send birth certificates a lease doctor or school records and a utility bill generally you will receive a letter but once they have the info best results fax it they will have 7 days to release your entire refund.

I got a tax topic 151 which I know what that is but will they hold my entire refund or give me a partial that was not affected? The affected part I’m sure was my step son

@monilove34  Did you get letter in the mail? On wmr they told me wait until I get a notice from them in the mail. What documents would I need to forward to them ?

I got the same message except I’ve had the same job and claiming the same people. I don’t have any debt like that so Im sure there not taking anything from me like that.. I’m claiming one less person cause they claimed themselves this year. Not sure 

@Mundo Did you get anything in the mail telling you to send anything or what’s the next process you have to do?

I got 151 all I did was add a child that live with me 2019 will I get part of my money are what? Should i go too the IRS on Monday 

Do anyone think I should go to the IRS on Monday i got 151 today also never got this need help 

@Wilkerson  I got the same thing too what are you going to do?

No need to.worry you just need to send supporting documents like birth certificates a lease school or medical records and a utility bill for proof and they will release it there is so many people going through this mess because of trumps tax law one thing for sure if you claimed the eic before they can't take it away form u

No it means you have to send supporting documents 

@monilove34 what supporting documents can I send from school or what else can I send bc it’s my child I adopted so I’m not in the birth certificate? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Part of the adoption process is to issue a birth certificate with the new parent(s) listed as such.  Contact your county records office to get a copy.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DMarkM1 I’m currently still waiting to get them everything takes long with the county because it’s so big. What other documents can i use for prof besides birth certificate?

I got this today aswell but I don’t owe anybody anything

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Tax Topic 151 means your return is under review. 

It is possible that the IRS may release the portion of your refund that does not apply to the issue that is under review.  It is hard to know without seeing the tax return.

If the review is a dependency of your step son or an Earned Income Credit for the step son, sometimes those features make up the total of the refund.

Hopefully, the IRS will contact you by letter within 4 weeks.  Please respond to them within the time frame recommended in the letter.

If you purchased Audit Defense, you should contact them first.  They should be able to assist you with an effective response to the IRS letter.

Please refer to the link below for our Audit Support Center.  This is free even if you did not purchase Audit Defense.  In addition to using our self-help tools, you can call and talk to a tax expert to assist you in more detail on how to respond.  However, TurboTax experts and employees cannot represent you in front of the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I got the same message yesterday so does this mean I'll still get my refund and that they took some of it? Or will I have to send in documents?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies