Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ecolive

I got a letter from IRS stating taxable interest was paid to me by the IRS during the calendar 2021. Where do I report this income?

There was no 1099 prefix or suffix on the form the IRS sent stating the taxable interest income paid by the IRS. I need where on my form I need to enter the interest to my tax form?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I got a letter from IRS stating taxable interest was paid to me by the IRS during the calendar 2021. Where do I report this income?

The IRS took so long last year to pay refunds they paid interest on it.

Enter interest from the IRS like a 1099Int and put the amount in box 1.  Enter it manually and just enter IRS for the payer.  Don't enter any other info like the address or a EIN.

Enter a 1099-Int  under

Federal on left

Wages & Income at top

Interest and Dividends

Interest on 1099INT - Click the Start or Revisit button

Don't enter a bank or broker name and don't try to import it.  At the bottom pick -  Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick I'll Type it in Myself

It is just like entering bank  interest ... payer is the  IRS and enter the amount.   Skip any "import" and choose the option to enter the interest yourself. 

I had the exact the same question.  Your answer is very helpful.  Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies