missy_kias

I filed single but I'm married and received my refund already how can I correct this mistake? and what should my spouse do before he files?

I want to file Joint with my spouse.

Since your return has already been processed and you received your refund, amend your return and make it the joint return you want to file.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899507-how-do-i-amend-a-separate-return-to-married-filing-jointly

And your spouse should not file his own return.  Change yours to Joint and add his info to it.
missy_kias

Thank you for the information very helpful! But what about the refund in my account should I return it back to the IRS? because I don't want to own the IRS any money then necessary.

You will still get the first refund or need to pay the original tax due.  Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  In fact you should not even amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  And make sure the original refund or tax paid shows up on the amended return.  You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Wait and see how your joint return turns out.  When you amend it re-sets to zero, so you will see if you owe anything or if you are receiving any additional refund.  When you amend, your own information is already there, but your spouse has to enter all of his information.   When you prepare a joint return you include all the information for both spouses on the SAME tax return.  Include all of your personal information, all of your income from every source, all dependents (if any), all credits and deductions for both of you.  You get ONE refund with both names on it.