Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed single but I'm married and received my refund already how can I correct this mistake? and what should my spouse do before he files?

I want to file Joint with my spouse.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed single but I'm married and received my refund already how can I correct this mistake? and what should my spouse do before he files?

Since your return has already been processed and you received your refund, amend your return and make it the joint return you want to file.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899507-how-do-i-amend-a-separate-return-to-married-filing-jointly

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Since your return has already been processed and you received your refund, amend your return and make it the joint return you want to file.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899507-how-do-i-amend-a-separate-return-to-married-filing-jointly

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And your spouse should not file his own return.  Change yours to Joint and add his info to it.

Thank you for the information very helpful! But what about the refund in my account should I return it back to the IRS? because I don't want to own the IRS any money then necessary.

You will still get the first refund or need to pay the original tax due.  Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  In fact you should not even amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  And make sure the original refund or tax paid shows up on the amended return.  You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Wait and see how your joint return turns out.  When you amend it re-sets to zero, so you will see if you owe anything or if you are receiving any additional refund.  When you amend, your own information is already there, but your spouse has to enter all of his information.   When you prepare a joint return you include all the information for both spouses on the SAME tax return.  Include all of your personal information, all of your income from every source, all dependents (if any), all credits and deductions for both of you.  You get ONE refund with both names on it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies