turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

annafagan

I erroneously sent an extra check to the IRS for $2,959 dollars. they cashed the check, How do I get back my $2,959 overpayment?

In July, I owed the IRS $ 7,312 for 2019. in addition to the $7,312 check, I erroneously sent an extra check to the IRS for $2,959 dollars. they cashed both checks, How do I get back the $2,959 overpayment?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I erroneously sent an extra check to the IRS for $2,959 dollars. they cashed the check, How do I get back my $2,959 overpayment?

they should automatically refund the overpayment once they completely process your return provided the check had your name, address, SSN, and tax year on it.   however, this process could take months.  have you tried using the IRS website to see your refund status. I don't think calling the IRS will in any way speed up the refund. 

Agreed ... time will tell.   You didn't accidentally send the payment for an  2020 estimate by sending a 2020   1040-ES voucher ?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies