Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered statutory employee by mistake. does that change the amount that i owe and if so how can i change it back to a regular employee?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I entered statutory employee by mistake. does that change the amount that i owe and if so how can i change it back to a regular employee?

It won't necessarily change the amount you owe on its own, but reporting your Form W-2 income as statutory employee income will report the income on a Schedule C, and also probably raise red flags with the IRS.  In other words -- if you're not a statutory employee, you don't want to claim that you are.

To delete your statutory employee indicator in TurboTax Online:

1. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  2. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown to the right of Wages & Income
  3. Select StartPick up where you left off, Edit, or Work on other income, as appropriate
  4. Scroll down and select Edit/Add to the right of Job (W-2)
  5. On the  Your W-2 summary screen, select the dropdown to the right of the Form W-2 you incorrectly indicated statutory employee status for
  6. Select Edit
  7. When you get to the Now let's update the rest screen, scroll down to Box 13 and uncheck the Statutory employee box 
  8. Select Continue
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies