turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kbadowski

I didn't get a tax break on my non-refunded work expenses. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

It's impossible to say for sure without a lot more information, but this may explain it:

In order to claim a deduction for unreimbursed business expenses, you would have to itemize your deductions. Additionally, the deduction is allowed only for the amount that is more than 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). 

It is very difficult to qualify for this deduction. That's because the expense limit is so high. In order to qualify, your job-related expenses must be more than 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income).

Example: If your AGI is $40,000, your expenses would have to be more than $800 ($40,000 x 2%). Even then, you could only deduct the amount over $800. So, if your job-related expenses were $1,000 you could only deduct $200 ($1,000 - $800).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

It's impossible to say for sure without a lot more information, but this may explain it:

In order to claim a deduction for unreimbursed business expenses, you would have to itemize your deductions. Additionally, the deduction is allowed only for the amount that is more than 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). 

It is very difficult to qualify for this deduction. That's because the expense limit is so high. In order to qualify, your job-related expenses must be more than 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income).

Example: If your AGI is $40,000, your expenses would have to be more than $800 ($40,000 x 2%). Even then, you could only deduct the amount over $800. So, if your job-related expenses were $1,000 you could only deduct $200 ($1,000 - $800).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies