Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I cannot open my current file....How do I recover?

@schiffmiller wrote:

How can I recover my tax return from a PDF backup file?

Open the PDF with any compatible PDF viewer such as Adobe Reader - https://get.adobe.com/reader/

agreeing with micheLo.... i have turbotax reading files on a directory backed up by one drive and the corrent copy is local-so it exists on my computer and online in one drive.  i have 2 different entity returns and both worked well until one didn't want to read the file and open it.  so i moved it to a non online drive to be backed up (on my computer only) and it read it.  then it still read both the 2 orig files from the onedrive backup file ok with no problems.   so it was intermittent-the worst type of errors.  but i do know i will not use with a one drive again, and i wish turbotax would look into this as everyone uses some form of online backup or ghosted drive that should not be a reason to not work.

Bud10
Returning Member

My file reached the review stage when it quit. I can not recover it. When I open the file and clip it review tab it just write although ti shows the total Fed return.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Try searching your computer for the file. Search on the entire C: drive (just for filenames, not file contents) for *.tax, if that is the drive you saved your tax files on before. Let the Search run, it may take a bit depending on the number of files.

When your tax file is found, be very sure to note the exact directory that it is in - Windows uses a lot of User\ and My Notes and My Documents and other folders so that the tax file isn't always where you (or TurboTax) thinks it is.

Once you have the exact file location, you can click on File in TurboTax, then Open Tax Return and click on the hard to see link Find a Tax File. On the next screen, enter the full path and filename. Once you have pulled up your tax return this way, TurboTax should remember its location. Also, check the recycle bin and your backups. 

You can also try the solution offered in this Turbo Tax help article. 
Error 102345 or Error 1932147737 occurs while opening a tax file.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/diagnostics/error-102345-error-193214773...

@Bud10

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

What is the specific message you are getting when attempting to open the file?  Also, what version of TurboTax are you using?  Desktop or Online?  If Desktop, are you using Windows or Mac?  Please respond here in the thread and we will be happy to assist you.  

@newgenesis1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tfaye12

how do I recover my back-up files

@Tfaye12 wrote:

how do I recover my back-up files

Only you would know how you backed up your files and how to access them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies