I amended my tax return - I have the amended retur...

Rachev8

I amended my tax return - I have the amended return as a pdf - how do I file it? Thank you

MarilynG1

You could mail it.  The Filing Instructions you print with your return tell you where to send it.

An Amended Return does not 'catch up' to your original return and correct it.

It is processed separately, and make take several weeks to complete. 

If your Amended Return is for 2020, don't submit it until you have received the Refund from your original return. 

If you are amending because of the Unemployment Income Exclusion, the IRS is making adjustments and will send you the extra refund; you don't need to amend. 

This link has more info on How Can I Get New Unemployment Benefit After Filing?

Click this link for more info on How to Amend Your Return

Rachev8

I missed to include my quarterly estimated tax payments for 2020 in my federal and state tax return for 2020.

Do I need to file an amended tax return?

Will I be able to do that electronically?

My TurboTax responds "your return isn't ready to be amended yet"

Thanks

Cass0317
Employee TurboTax Specialist

If you have already e-filed or mailed the return, then you will need to wait until the IRS has accepted or rejected that return before you can make any changes. 

• If they reject it, then you can make the needed changes and re-submit the return.  How do I fix a rejected return?

• If they accept it, then you will need to wait until you have received your refund, if applicable, and then amend that return to make changes, if needed. Amended returns have to be printed and mailed in and take up to 16 weeks to be processed.   

If accepted, wait until you have received your refund or taxes due paid, then you can go here for instructions on amending your return.