Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am doing my son's taxes. He works in NJ and lives in PA. They took out NJ tax on 1 W2 and PA tax in an additional W2. How do I add the PA tax

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am doing my son's taxes. He works in NJ and lives in PA. They took out NJ tax on 1 W2 and PA tax in an additional W2. How do I add the PA tax

It depends.  If the box 1 through 6 amounts (Federal portion) on each W-2 are identical, treat the "separate" W-2s as if they were one.  This may be done on the W-2 entry screen by clicking on "Add another line" on the state section to be able to add the PA information.

However, it is also good to remember that NJ and PA are reciprocal states and he should not have had tax withheld in NJ.  To get these taxes back, he will want to file a NJ nonresident reciprocal return.  All of his income is taxed in PA, but he will get a full refund of the NJ state taxes he paid in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If the box 1 through 6 amounts (Federal portion) on each W-2 are identical, treat the "separate" W-2s as if they were one.  This may be done on the W-2 entry screen by clicking on "Add another line" on the state section to be able to add the PA information.

However, it is also good to remember that NJ and PA are reciprocal states and he should not have had tax withheld in NJ.  To get these taxes back, he will want to file a NJ nonresident reciprocal return.  All of his income is taxed in PA, but he will get a full refund of the NJ state taxes he paid in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies