Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally filed with Turbo Tax Self EMployed. I am not self employed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, if you have already filed it is too late to downgrade your account. Also, the only way to downgrade from Self Employed is to clear and start over. 

Please follow the instructions to clear and start over.

How do I clear and start over in TurboTax Online? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Oh I don’t care about downgrading, I’m just worried it will cause problems with my return. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you did not post anything there will not be a problem.  I expect that you received a 1099-MISC that generated a small business Schedule.  That blank form will have no affect.

I used self employed last year, forgot to clear this year cause I had a W2  and was no longer self employed but filed that way anyways. Good to know it won't cause problems with my return but unfortunately I'll  have to eat the $98.00 it cost with them to file that way.

Angie M

I did the same thing and didn't realize until after I paid and couldn't clear it. I wonder if there's a glitch in the system because I'm positive that I didn't select it to begin my return. I did go in and request a refund for the difference but don't know if they will refund or not. I too was way more worried about causing a problem with the IRS. 

Fitz030808
Returning Member

This must be an ongoing issue. I had a 1099k and a small 1099 misc. I was told to use self employed. Later, it seemed incorrect as it produced a profit loss form with a 1040ES for the following year (I'm not self employed but did have paypal sales).  I called and another rep told me I was initially told wrong. So I have to wait until my taxes are accepted and amend it, so its not filing as self employed. Can't wait to try and fix this mess.

AveryH

Agree with the glitch possibility. Now incurring an extra $120 fee and cannot get through to support. The callback automatically ends the call. Best of luck getting this fixed. Looks like a cheesy way to squeeze an upgrade out of people unexpectingly.

So, what I am seeing in these responses is that filing self-employed by accident will not cause a problem with the IRS? It's just a matter of paying too much to file, correct? I was worried because my refund has already taken a month. Am I correct?

Will filing self-employed cause problems with the IRS? I am really worried. My refund has already taken a month.

I agree with the glitch because I started over multiple times and still ended up filing self employed. I also never clicked that as an option. I was putting in my 1099G form from unemployment. I filed my taxes on February 2, 2021, and they were accepted on February 12, 2021. As of today, I still haven’t received my taxes, and the irs refund tool states that my return is still being processed and a date will be given when available. I am pretty positive that this is holding up my return. 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Once you attempt to enter information that is not supported by your current edition of Turbo Tax, the system will prompt you to upgrade to the most suitable version. The  product guide below details the various options; you may click on the blue links within the FAQ to learn more about each version and the tax situation it supports.

Turbo Tax 2020 Product Guide

Additionally, if at any time, you inadvertently select the Turbo Tax Self-Employed product before actually filing and submitting payment, you may downgrade (providing that your tax situation does not warrant using it) by following these steps.

Have you got the return yet?

I had the same problem. Also just recieved a letter from the irs stating they are holding my return and checking it for accuracy. Is anyone else still experiencing problems or waiting like me?

Ashanders13
Returning Member

I have the same issue where I was filed as self employed. What I want to know is does this affect how much we got back? I cannot seem to find that answer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies