Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to change amount I want sent to me on 1040x, and choose which year I want to credit?

I took a loss on 1256 contracts in 2015. I want to carry back the loss to 2014, and apply the credit from 2014 to 2016. (I underpaid in 2016, and would like to avoid paying interest on the underpayment)

I don't see how to fill out line 22, "Amount of line 21 you want refunded to you" or how to fill out line 23, "Amount of line 21 you want applied to your (enter year):
estimated tax ."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to change amount I want sent to me on 1040x, and choose which year I want to credit?

There is no such option on an amended return to carry the refund back only forward.  If you owe for 2014 then the IRS will gladly keep the amount you owe and refund the rest.  And if they don't you can make a payment when you get the refund.  

Be aware that the processing of the amended return will take 16+ weeks or more so there is no way for the refund to get to the 2016 return before you will get a balance due letter so be prepared for that notice to come in the mail. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

There is no such option on an amended return to carry the refund back only forward.  If you owe for 2014 then the IRS will gladly keep the amount you owe and refund the rest.  And if they don't you can make a payment when you get the refund.  

Be aware that the processing of the amended return will take 16+ weeks or more so there is no way for the refund to get to the 2016 return before you will get a balance due letter so be prepared for that notice to come in the mail. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Switch to forms mode and open Form 1040X. On line 23 enter the year and the amount you want to apply. TurboTax will calculate line 22 accordingly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies